birdlip

Default Named and shamed

Just noticed this on IGI:

Squire Walker ROBINSON b 27 Jun 1844, bap 25 Dec 1844. Mother Eliza

Do you think she was trying to make a point?

ET in the USA

It seems there more than one way to 'skin a cat'.

I have seen that with my family, but just a slipped in middle name the same as the father's surname, never anything quite so blatant. You go girl.

Colin Moretti

Not necessarily, Charles Squire MILLER is my 2xg grandfather, the third child of his parents born some 4 years after their marriage, so it would seem to have been used as a Christian name as well.

In fact there are more than 1000 children (I stopped counting at that point) with that first name recorded in the IGI for England & Wales

Colin

ET in the USA

OK - I concede. In the 1851 census, there were 89 entries for someone with the first name of Prince & I suppose that they were not ALL royal indiscretions [But I still think it was a good move if he was sired by Squire Walker]

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti View Post
    Not necessarily, Charles Squire MILLER is my 2xg grandfather, the third child of his parents born some 4 years after their marriage, so it would seem to have been used as a Christian name as well.

In fact there are more than 1000 children (I stopped counting at that point) with that first name recorded in the IGI for England & Wales

Colin
    Well...who'd have thunk it!
    Perhaps I 've been watching too many BBC bonnet dramas...

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    ...But I still think it was a good move if he was sired by Squire Walker
    Undoubtedly.

The part of the country seems to have some bearing on the popularity of the name - more than 1000 in Lancashire alone, other counties I checked (not all, by any means) were all less than 100.

Was the use of the term Squire for a local landowner also regional, can anyone say?

Colin