janal

Red face Looking back from our twilight years

Alan(1933) and Janet(1944) born in Watford Herts with family ties to Edwards/Groom and Short/Goodman trees in the U.K.Very few remaining family members but contact made with distant relatives in England.A large group of Edwards discovered in Ontario Canada. ,Presently struggling to contact known Edwards cousins/families born around Adelaide South Australia 1920-1930.Like many of the Edwards( from Edgefield Norfolk origins)Janet and I left U.K. in 1964 and made our home on the other side of the world.We chose New Zealand and are retired in a small country area 100km North of Wellington close to the university city of Palmerston North.

v.wells

Default Welcome Janal

Welcome to B-G Janal. I loved your opening comment "looking back on our twilight years" I think you will find a lot of resources and help from the supersleuths here! Brick walls are usually the "specialty of the day" and we all get caught up in the stories that evolve from the searches. Good luck in you hunt!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello Janal, lovely to meet you here. It's a good spot to put up your feet, & browse the Forums to find a start to your searches. Perhaps the Surnames Forum will have the people you're looking for, if not pop the question & see what the members can come up with.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

janal

Thank you for the welcome.My amateur status leads me to request help with cousins and their families around Adelaide.My uncle John George Edwards born1895 Edgefield Norfolk settled in Magill and married Doris Donaldson(12-6-20)at her father John Donaldson's residence .Of ten children dates known are:Sydney John 15-10-20/Douglas George 5-9-22/Albert Douglas24-2-24/John George18-5-25/Charles Daniel27=8=26/Harold William 30-8-27/and unknown dates:Rose/Joe/Henry/Graham.Deaths known John4-2-73 and Doris19-4-64,uncertain:Sydneyc1985/Rose c1951/Henry c1949/Graham c 1986.Last known to be residing at HOPE VALLEY area where parents are buried it would be great to re establish the family link in any form should there now be any to pass on their ancestral trees.Regards from Alan (NZ)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Janal, my discs don't go far enough to help with marriages after 1937 or births after1927, however here is one burial:

australiancemeteries.com/sa/tea_tree_gully/hopevalleydata.htm
    Search Results: Glen Osmond St Saviour's - Gravesecrets at your fingertips!EDWARDS, Harold William & Jane (Jennie)

you may find more 'australiancemeteries.com/sa/index.htm"]Here '
    or

' Here '

Perhaps you can sort out those who don't mention a second Christian name.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Alan, I believe I am a descendant of the Adelaide Edwards, as my father John was born in Adelaide and his father, also John was born in Edgefield, Norfolk, UK. Quite a few years ago I was in contact with Edna Childs(nee Edwards) who was my father's cousin. She has since passed away as I wrote to her son Micheal but have since lost contact. My dad too, passed away in 2002. In her letters, Edna mentioned she had a brother, Alan, who emigrated to Wellington, New Zealand. Is this you? I would like to keep in touch and correspond as I have a keen interest in my finding out about my heritage, my ancestors, what they did for a living, and their stories etc.

janal

Hi Glenda,Yes it's me!Now 80 years old I am the son of Sydney Edwards .brother of John George,your grandfather. Many years ago I saw your search on the Genes Reunited site and put a reply to it but was never able to make contact with you ,the original letters are still on file at the site which I still visit.My sister Edna"s son Michael is still in the UK and we correspond .My wife Janet passed away in 2013,our only son Philip lives in Auckland NZ.I have received a photo of your grandparents headstone [Tea tree Gully ?] .Also mention of Harold William & Jane [Jennie] Edwards at Glen Osmond Cemetery,Were they your Uncle/aunt?Do you have any more history on your Grandparents family of ten? I have Edwards UK back to 1720 and Canada 1839< Thanks to you & BG.com.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Alan, I don't really know much to write about, but it would be good to stay in touch. I haven't got my grandparents'' records on hand right now, but I think they are buried at Hope Valley Cemetery. Of my dad(John)'s siblings, only Uncle
    Graham (not sure on spelling) and Uncle Henry are still alive, Uncle Doug passed away about two years ago. I think his name was Albert Douglas. I am in contact with a couple of my cousins through facebook, as I met them when I lived in Adelaide about twenty years ago, living back in Queensland now. I was wondering if you had an interest in horse as it seems nearly all my Edwards relations were involved in some way with horses. Dad used to break a few in and worked on various cattle stations in his early years. My mum is still alive and lives in Isisford here, she is 86. Do you have much information on our ancestors in Norfolk? Edna sent me a copy of a baptism certificate for grandpop Edwards and a couple of photos of the cottage where he used to live, it would be interesting to learn more about what they did for a living etc. I met a schoolteacher once with the surname of Edwards and he said Edwards was Welsh is this true? Anyway I'm sitting here past my bedtime and am pretty exhausted as I work as a gardener on the local council here and at the present the grass is growing faster than I can mow it, so on that note I shall say Goodnight and hope to hear from you soon.

janal

Hi Glenda,
    HELP ! I have somehow crashed our site with my reply to our "friendship" entry and also after replying to your last mail about our families occupations,news of Graham& Henry & your gardening job etc.
    I wrote back with a dated records of our direct descendants from 1720 to the present time which for some reason would not "send" via this web. Can you send me a quick "hello"with your street {name only} included,I have found an address which I think is yours in case we can not re-establish this link.Hoping you receive this mail,fingers crossed,or perhaps one of the website co-ordinators who check correspondence can advise me when they check the message if I am doing something wrong here. Alan.

janal

Hi Glenda,Still trying to contact you ,last heard from you March 2014 ! and keen to send you a copy of our family tree and hoping you can fill in so many gaps of our Australian family.I have received on a Heritage site from Paul Brady Family yet another family listing containing 435 people that I confirm are related to John George Edwards and his brother Sidney (my Dad).Should you be able to reply I can open a subscription to the Heritage site to open the Brady site for viewing.Regards from your ancient ancestor ! Alan.