Thread: WW2 Records

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default WW2 Records

Hello.
    I'm trying to find out if a relative of mine was in WW2 . The relative in question was born in 1903 so would have been 36 in 1939. I'm not sure of the age limit for which a person could join up or the conscription limits. I spend most of my time trawling WW1 records and i'm not too familiar with WW2 records etc. Can anyone tell me how to find out if he was in the War. I have tried the National Archives but seem to have trouble getting on the right page. Unless, of course i'm having one of those afternoons.
    Thanks
    Susan.

Reputation beyond repute

WW2 service records have not been released to the National Archives. It's dead easy to find the that sort of information on the National Archives web site. You just go to https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...%5Cdefault.htm and follow the links.

If he married or fathered any children during that period, you definitely need the certificates which should specify his occupation. Don't forget to search the London Gazette for a possible mention.

Reputation beyond repute

PS If he may have been a merchant seaman, rather than in the armed forces, you can search for WW2 medals online.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking for his records exactly rather was he in WW2 and if so was it Army, Navy etc. When he married in 1928 it looks as though he was an Engineer. I'll see if i can find something out.
    Thanks again
    Susan

ashbee

Catching up with this thread, I have a similar interest to Susan although I know my grandfather was in the army but that's it. If the records haven't been released yet, can anyone say when they might?

Reputation beyond repute

See the National Archives signposts and follow the appropriate one...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...%5Cdefault.htm

ashbee

Thank you for the links...my grandfather was in Africa (I have photos but not clear enough to identify badges or insignia) and would like to know which regiment/battalion etc. No one left alive in the family to know that information unfortunately...

Yes thanks for all your help, everyone.
    Much appreciated.
    Susan