Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    pattenwalsh

Default Prayle/Playle/Prail

Can anybody find a marriage for Frances/Fanny Prayle/Prail?

On the 1891 census she is Mother in Law.Widow age 80 born 1811 Woodham Ferris,Essex

On the 1881 she is Mother in Law.Married age 67 born 1814 Danbury,Essex

On the 1871 she is enumerated as Playle.Housekeeper age 57 born 1814 Essex.

1861 she is on FMP as Pras and on Ancestry as Prais,but I read it as Prail on the original,She is Housekeeper Unmarried age 40,born 1821.

On the 1851 she is on FMP as Frail.Housekeeper,Unmarried age 40,born 1811.

She has 2 daughters,Eliza b.1846 and Sophia b.1855 and obviously liked to be younger than her real age.
    She died 1894 with age given as 85.
    I could obtain a birth cert for a daughter to find out who the father was but this is for a friend and I don't want to incur expenses if possible.So any ideas welcome.

Mutley

I'm just a little confused here. Did she not use the name of the man she married?

pattenwalsh

Thanks notanotherminer,although it does seem good I'm a bit puzzled as to where the husband is as there isn't one with her at any time.Also she would use her maiden name when marrying, unless this is a second marriage, and as it was looked on badly to be unmarried with children I don;t think she would go by the name of Prail as a maiden name for the children ....Still a mystery.

colashbury

There is a marriage in December 1846 Braintree for a Fanny Brail. Not quite sure who with yet. page and folio numbers are 12-39
    Sorry beaten to it

colashbury

Good thinking Mutley. All seems very confusing. If this was a birth and death name, who is to say that she was married...
    If she was showing up as unmarried 1861 but married 1881, she must have married late in life. Was she a Widow in 51 or 61, this would surely show if she had at least been married for the birth of her 1st Daughter..

Mutley

Looking very quickly at the possible husbands, the only one I cannot find later is Heppy whatsit Rawling. I cannot find a death for him either.

Sadly, though you do not want to spend the money of your friend it may be the only way to find the correct line rather than a false trail when there is a problem of this nature.

colashbury

Was looking at the two Daughters, but they are not given the name Kemp. They are given her name as Pras although you can clearly see on the report that it is Prail. The Daughters name seems to be Elina not Eliza.

pattenwalsh

Yes she was with Jeremiah Kemp as Housekeeper on the 1851,61 and 71 census's and Jeremiah becomes a widow on the 1861 census.
    A good point raised by notanotherminer as to why be a housekeeper for another family when you have a 5 year old who does not appear on the 1851 ...I agree Mutley that this is probably the only way to settle the question by buying a copy of the birth cert and am I generous enough to do it....maybe out of curiosity!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    I did a census search on her with each of the possible married names and not one came up with anything. I even did a surname only search for Crackling, one of the names and there were no matches at all, so I think that might be a BMD error
    Me too, quite a few cracking errors amongst this lot. Sorry, not funny!

The only other one I have been looking at is a marriage of a Frances (she uses Frances later on) Gaines to a John Pearl in Braintree in June 1844. Frances Gaines appears in 1841 but then I cannot see her married with John. Might be worth a look.

pattenwalsh

John Pearle is on the 1841 at Bocking b.1816.Cannot find him in 1851 but turns up in 1861 as Pearl still in Bocking with wife Sarah b.1817

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast