jbatty

Default Bennallacks - Elizabeth Emma and Hannah Jane

I am beginning my Bennallack search. I have John Bennallack (parents Richard and Anna) married to Jane Searle (parents Matthew and Jane) in 1856. They had two daughters (born in St. Austell) and then Jane died (in 1858). First daughter is Elizabeth Emma (my great-great-grandmother, b. approx 1857) and second daughter is Hannah Jane (b. approx 1858). After their mothers' death they went to live with relatives for a short time.

In 1871 census, Elizabeth and Hannah are back living with their father and step-mother (who then had at least 8 children):
    67,Brays Place,1,John Bennallack,Head,M,37,,Butcher,St Austell Cornwall,,
    ,,,Mary Bennallack,Wife,M,,29,,St Austell Cornwall,,
    ,,,Elizabeth E Bennallack,Dau,,,14,Scholar,St Austell Cornwall,,
    ,,,Hannah J Bennallack,Dau,,,13,Scholar,St Austell Cornwall,,
    ,,,John T Bennallack,Son,,6,,Scholar,St Austell Cornwall,,
    ,,,Richard T Bennallack,Son,,3m,,,St Austell Cornwall,,
    and more children to come

I have the full descendants of Elizabeth Emma, but cannot figure out what happened to Hannah Jane.

Does any of this sound familiar or can anyone help with some advice?

Hallo, and welcome to B-G Forums (from a Packers fan in GB )

I have moved your post to the Cornwall forum, where it might attract more interest. The Surnames Board is purely for listing names being researched, and threads there are closed once posted.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

MarkJ

Always a difficult one when the surname (and first names in this case) can be spelled so many different ways!

I notice from FreeBMD that the two girls have "post'ems" by their entries - presumably, looking at the name of the poster, they were posted by yourself?

Have you obtained these birth certificates to check the details? Each entry is spelled differently - and that is just on the BMD register. The census and other references are likely to have further variations I expect.

A quick check through for deaths, marriages etc didn't lead to anything as yet. I tried a variety of variations - Ben* with Jane, Ann* and Hannah - but nothing in deaths or marriages in the St Austell area.

Mark

Fiona67

I found John's Christening record on the OPC John Benallack was christened 2 June 1833 St Austell. Their residence was listed as Carvath and Richard was a miner

Hope that helps

Fiona

Fiona67

Also on the OPC Richard Benallack m Susannah Ivey 12 Feb 1832 St Austell. Banns were listed. The witnesses were John Julyan and Joseph Ivey

Fiona

Fiona67

There do appear to be some Bennallacks who immigrated from St Austell to South Australia..... maybe it would be worth a look there (unfortunately I am on holidays at the moment so can't check my SA bdm records)....it is along shot but Hannah does appear to have vanished

jbatty

Thanks Fiona!

I also know that after his wife Jane died, John Bennallack remarried to Mary Trethewey in 1864 and they had at least eight children. I have been corresponding with some descendants of that marriage who are in the US. Sometime during the mid-1850s, John emigrated to the Upper Peninsula of the state of Michigan in the US (which isn't too far from where I live) with some of his children. But, like you said, Hannah Jane Bennallack seems to have vanished.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have found 4 Bennalacks in Sth.Australia. All dtrs of Willliam Bennalack & they married between 1858 + 1869, so a bit early.
    In 1877 a Child, Clara Edith 4mths died. Dtr of Richard Bennalack + Catherine OHalloran b.24/10/1876 at Moonta.

Part of our Copper Triangle, Moonta having the richest copper mine in the 19th century. Located on the Yoke Peninsular.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.