Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JillianR

Default John F LONEY "Trincomalee" and "Calcutta"

From the Navy List - John F LONEY Master "Trincomalee", North America and West Indies, 17 Sep 1747. Also Master of the "Calcutta" East Indies 3 Mar 1756.

I'm trying to find out if this is the same person as John LONEY born 1712 Portsea Hampshire, parents John and Mary nee Hodges. He married Mary Jones in 1738 and had children born 1739, 1743, 1746, and 1751.

What should I be looking for?

Thankyou
    Jillian

birdlip

Hi Jillian,

I had a look on the National Archives site, I couldn't find any mention of John F Loney...probably wasn't looking in the right place!

However there are several records relating to a John LONEY Junior, shipbuilder, and one to a John LONEY Senior, shipbuilder, both from Portsmouth. All are from 1740's to 1760's, by which time John LONEY Junior seems to be living in Woolwich. This one looks really interesting...

14 Dec 1769 (ADM 106/1184/174) " John Loney, Master Shipwrights Assistant, Woolwich. Receipt of a letter from Portsmouth informing him his mother is on her deathbed and asks for leave."

There is also a will in 1778 for John Loney, shipwright, Woolwich, Kent.

Would this be your John Loney and his father John ?

JillianR

Hi there, good to hear from you again! Yes, that's definitely them, the daughters Mary and Frances both married in Woolwich. They married men from the Artillery and the Engineers, both Army, so I am trying to work out why Mary's son joined the Navy. Looks like his uncle and grandfather were ship builders. I was wondering how the girls ended up in Woolwich. I don't suppose a Master ship builder would have time to be Master of a ship sailing to India? Well, maybe. Thanks for the leads! Have a good day, looks like a nice one.

birdlip

Glad it was helpful...I meant to say too, it looks like John Junior went to Plymouth first before Woolwich, theres one record of him requesting his servants be sent from Plymouth, did you see that one?

Quite likely John F Loney was a relative though, don't you think?

Yes, its a beautiful day here too, I'm off out to feed the chooks and have a potter in the garden now.....

JillianR

Found a birth record on the IGI for John Felix Loney 1814 Portsea Hampshire, could well be our Royal Navy person. Same family if not the same person...parents John Jenkins Loney and Frances.

birdlip

Aha...well done! John Jenkins Loney could be a cousin of your John Loney Senior perhaps?

birdlip

Looking at IGI, John Jenkins Loney and Frances have a number of chn born in Portsea, then one in Chatham in 1818, and more back in Portsea again. So presumably he was at huge dockyards there, quite possible he was also a shipbuilder.

JillianR

Ummm....John Felix was born 1814 I just noticed, must have been half asleep this morning. Going through the archives records now. Sounds like a family business, shipbuilding. Thanks for the help, we'll have this sorted in no time.

JillianR

Looks like John Loney Jnr is the father of Mary and Frances, since the first mention of him in the archives is 1746. John Loney Snr gets one mention, in 1746 in Portsmouth, also a shipwright. The girls would have gone with JL Jnr when he moved to Woolwich after being appointed master boatbuilder in 1764. And his will is online, which could be worth a look. (Then there were some assorted relatives in the Navy)

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by JillianR View Post
    From the Navy List - John F LONEY Master "Trincomalee", North America and West Indies, 17 Sep 1747. Also Master of the "Calcutta" East Indies 3 Mar 1756.

I'm trying to find out if this is the same person as John LONEY born 1712 Portsea Hampshire, parents John and Mary nee Hodges. He married Mary Jones in 1738 and had children born 1739, 1743, 1746, and 1751.
    The National Archives does seem to be the place to begin your research, as indicated by others - have a look at their research guides and click on the links prefixed 'Royal Navy'. it is not unusual to read of men serving in the RN and then working as shipwrights in docks or vice versa.

Also, did the chap you mentioned died in 1813? - click here - Perhaps John Felix was named after this old boy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast