ssedge3

Default James Peirce 1808 Canterbury Kent

My cousins and I have been searching for years to find parents of James Peirce, born Canterbury Kent England 1808. Married Maria Hinds Foreman. James died at sea on the 'Potosi' in 1882 returning to England from Australia after visiting his family namely James William Peirce and John Obadiah Peirce. We have almost searched every Parish in Kent to no avail. Can anyone help us please?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Assuming that your unusual spelling is correct then

JAS. PEIRCE
    Christening: 14 AUG 1811 St Alphage, Greenwich, Kent
    Father: JAS. PEIRCE Mother: PHILLIS
    Batch C006321

This is a christening, not the birth. Clearly the family are a fairly mobile one. A possible from the IGI.
    There are a few others

https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/sear...search_igi.asp

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the military indexes? There was a heavy military presence in Kent at that time.

Brick wall demolition expert!

James Pierce
    Bap 1 Mar 1807-Maidstone kent
    Parents-Francis Pierce-Rebecca Cox
    member submitted entry.

ssedge3

Default Thanks 'valg'/Peter/Raffaele-James Peirce

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    James Pierce
    Bap 1 Mar 1807-Maidstone kent
    Parents-Francis Pierce-Rebecca Cox
    member submitted entry.
    I have seen all IGI/Family Search records- need to go through Parish Records one by one it seems - from his death certificate we feel he was definitely born 1808, thank you all for your interest and kind help..there is no Francis or Rebecca in family name history either. Wondering about 'Phyllis' too in other post received today. Will definitely look at Peter Goodey's idea re military records......

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you also checked the available records on "CityArk"? They have some very early ones.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Will definitely look at Peter Goodey's idea re military records......
    ...which are available on Findmypast and possibly elsewhere. These are indexes rather than records.

Were there any clues from his marriage? Any mention of his home parish? Interesting names of witnesses?

You may want to try Gillian Rickard's Canterbury Baptism Index which you'll find by Googling

ssedge3

Dear Peter - he is in 1841 census listed as 'Purce' in Preston by Wingham Kent, he was a billposter - I had also forgottten about Gillian Rickard, we will contact her also. You are most helpful and I appreciate it - I also have another cousin who can access Find my Past so will ask her to have look there.
    The witness to wedding was Maria's father, John Foreman ( married to Sophia Augusta Hinds) on the wedding cert. I am sure there is a connection with the Camfield family - Freemen of Canterbury List
    and also possible parents for James - Maria Cole 1778 married William Pierce 1782 ( not Peirce but that changes all the time) in 1800 Married Canterbury Kent. There is a Maria 1800 ( married Thomas Hymers) and Thomas 1813 born to Maria (Cole) and William- plenty of space inbetween for James Peirce 1808 and Sarah to be born. The Sarah 1806 I am thinking of married an Edward Camfield - Tonbridge?? and another Maria Pierce 1808 married a John Camfield-Dover ( they were brothers, but I don't think the girls were sisters, perhaps cousins as there is already a Maria in the family 1800).Driving me mad!

ssedge3

Thnkyou, will give it a try.