Ms Tarfgi

Default Transport in the mid-nineteenth century

How would my ancestors have moved from near Haverfordwest to Neath in 1848? (about 60 miles today, but presumably a much longer and more difficult journey then). They had at least 4 young children and all their belongings, though they wouldn't have amounted to much as father was an ag lab.
    I think I'm right in saying that the railway hadn't come to H'west at the time.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Can't speak for UK traffic, but in 1848 my Fathers Grandmother with her Family, having arrived in Australia in 1838 Parents & 5 children, proceeded to WALK to Adelaide a distance of (now)1374-1380 kms ( 853 miles) with a cart pulled by bullocks. Their 10th ( & final) child was born along the way.
    These days about 2days drive, but if you could see the Hills they would have needed to cross,! truly awe-enspiring.
    I've heard the English are good walkers?

ps. Family settled iin Goolwa & near surrounds, & multiplied.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The railway (from Carmarthen) only reached Haverfordwest in 1854 so your ancestors didn't travel to Neath that way. I agree with Wendy that it was quite likely they just walked. 60 miles was not seen as a big distance to walk in those days. (I recently read a diary of an ancestor in Scotland who walked home 40 miles in a night, in the 1870s, to save money). There were "carriers" who would have carried heavier goods with a horse and cart, if you were able to pay. So any heavy goods your ancestors owned might have been moved that way. But I suspect that if they had little or real value they would probably have simply sold any heavy property in Haverfordwest and bought replacements in Neath.

Ms Tarfgi

Wow! and after what was presumably a very hard voyage to Australia. In comparison my family had a mere hop, skip and jump to their new home. Their troubles started when they got to Neath as within a few months, mother and two children had died of cholera, which was rife then in the rapidly growing industrial towns.

Ms Tarfgi

Thanks Elwyn, your explanation was what I had assumed.

My maternal great grandmother in Ireland used to walk from West Cork to Cork City every market day, to sell what farm produce she could carry - barefoot, as she couldn't risk wearing out her only pair of shoes. About 80 miles there and back.