Rob Faulkner

Default Maria 'Matilda' MISSON

Maria was born 13 Sep 1850 in Stetchworth, Cambridgeshire. She emigrated with family (George and Mary) and arrived at Melbourne on the Omega 1855 age 4. She married William Henry THOMPSON 13 May 1867 in Melbourne and subsequently lived in McIvor/Heathcote and Collingwood. Apparently she went by the name of Matilda after her marriage. She appeared to have separated from her husband around late 1880s - he may have gone to NSW where his father may have been suffering financial difficulties. He remarried in 1909 claiming widowed 1898, but there is no registered death for Maria 'Matilda'. She was not buried at Bass where her Misson family was established. Any ideas?
    Maria and William Henry's children were Albert Ephraim 1867-, Adelaide Clara Ann 1869-, Walter Frederick 1871-, William Henry 1873-, Charles George 1875-, Victoria Violet 1877-, Helena Constance 1879-, Sydney Heathcote 1881- and Arthur Sydney 1884-.
    Thank you.

JillianR

Hi Rob

Do you think she may have remarried? My GGG Grandmother was difficult in just this way until I found she had remarried using her maiden name, took me years to find that. Still don't know if she was a widow or not. I've also just found a woman who remarried using an alias (surname), because she was still married to someone else. Just a thought.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Faulkner View Post
    ...Apparently she went by the name of Matilda after her marriage. She appeared to have separated from her husband around late 1880s - he may have gone to NSW where his father may have been suffering financial difficulties. He remarried in 1909 claiming widowed 1898, but there is no registered death for Maria 'Matilda'. She was not buried at Bass where her Misson family was established. Any ideas?
    Maria and William Henry's children were Albert Ephraim 1867-, Adelaide Clara Ann 1869-, Walter Frederick 1871-, William Henry 1873-, Charles George 1875-, Victoria Violet 1877-, Helena Constance 1879-, Sydney Heathcote 1881- and Arthur Sydney 1884-.
    Thank you.
    William Henry and Maria/Matilda have gone on had more children in Collingwood, Victoria
    Clifford George THOMPSON b 1890, (reg 31425) died Melbourne East hospital 1894 (reg 2708) - Clifford's death does give mum's name as Margaret Matilda, a clerical error by the hospital, no doubt.
    Isabella Pearl THOMPSON birth reg 1893 (no 2670)
    Jane Myrtle THOMPSON birth reg 1896 (no 10647)
    Looks like there has been no separation to me, and it is possible that Matilda has died with the next childbirth, not necessarily in Victoria.
    ChristineR

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

One way of trying to find her is to locate the grave of her dead infants, and then check with the cemetery to see if she is buried with one of them. Clifford's death certificate will say were he is buried, and is probably the best buy as it is nearer the time of her supposed death.
    ChristineR

Rob Faulkner

Christine, Thank you so much for that idea. Will do!
    Rob

Rob Faulkner

Christine - thank you for this information. I am learning about how to use forums and it appears that ALL information about a person would help. I had no idea people would be so helpful!
    The Margaret Matilda /Clifford George was a 2nd wife, Margaret Webb whom William Henry married 1909. Margaret Webb 1861-1933,( born Sale), daughter of John Webb 1818-1878 and Mary Dargan 1834-1890; Margaret previously married to Henry Frederick Edsall 1848-1908 Born Manchester England,and had 3 children Sydney James Edsall 1883-1971, born Carlton; Silas Gordon 1885-1965 died Heidelberg (death cert says father William Henry Thompson), Arthur Frederick 1888-. 3 boys born in Victoria.
    The parentage of the two girls is acknowledged as Matilda - but was, in reality, Margaret - as they were born out of wedlock it is possible she changed her name to Matilda to legitimise them. Their death certs acknowledge Margaret.
    Perhaps William Henry had a fetish for the name Matilda as both women used it.!!
    Again, thank you.
    Matilda reported to the Coroner at an inquest that she was separated from her husband 'for abt 10 years' in 1889. That is the last reference I have of her. The Inquest was due to an 'attempted murder (of her) and a suicide by a Walter Brooks in Carlton.