Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rob Faulkner

Default Frederick Gamiliel THOMPSON abt 1820s+

My great grandfather, William Henry Thompson claims to be born in Sydney about 1845/6 (no evidence, just by subtraction as to how long he had lived in the colony) claimed on his marriage certificate that his parents were Frederick Thompson and Clara Davidson (presumably from England, but could have been born in Australia).
    Frederick was a compositor (Info from marriage cert) and there is a Frederick Gamiliel Thompson listed in the Insolvency Files in NSW PRO as a compositor. It may be he. He lived at Abercrombie Street, Redfern in 1881 and Toogood Street Macdonaldtown in 1886.
    Can anyone shed any light please on Frederick and Clara or Frederick Gamiliel? I can find neither birth, marriage, death, arrival or departure for them in England or Australia.
    It is unknown as to whether William Henry had any siblings. William Henry married Maria Misson of Stetchworth, Cambridgeshire. Their life is quite well documented. Their children were Albert Ephraim 1867-, Adelaide Clara Ann 1869-, Walter Frederick 1871-, William Henry1873-, Charles George 1875-, Victoria Violet 1879-, Helena Constance 1879-, Sydney Heathcote 1881- and Arthur Sydney 1884-.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Faulkner View Post
    William Henry married Maria Misson of Stetchworth, Cambridgeshire. Their life is quite well documented. Their children were Albert Ephraim 1867-, Adelaide Clara Ann 1869-, Walter Frederick 1871-, William Henry1873-, Charles George 1875-, Victoria Violet 1879-, Helena Constance 1879-, Sydney Heathcote 1881- and Arthur Sydney 1884-.
    For anyone trying to assist these events occurred in Victoria - see this thread.

JillianR

From Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 15 March 1887 -
    The friends of Mr FG Thompson of Toogood St Macdonaldtown are respectfully invited to attend the funeral of his beloved infant daughter Emma Teresa to move from his residence this afternoon at half past 2 oclock. Chas, Boots & Co Undertakers 168 King St Newtown and Norton St Leichhardt.

Rob Faulkner

Red face Frederick Gamiliel Thompson

That notice in the paperis so interesting - but only widens the search. My Fred would be in his 60s if he fathered the girl - and one would have to assume a 2nd marriage as Clara would be too old. Whew. Thank you so much for sending me the newspaper cutting. I have searched on TROVE NLA without coming across that one.
    I'll pursue the funeral further, and the possibility of a 2nd marriage. Its a great lead. Thank you so much.
    Cheers Robin

JillianR

Frederick Gamaliel Thompson was the Mayor of Hurstville 1899 to 1900 and there is a photo of him here: https://lmg.hurstville.nsw.gov.au/Past-Mayors.html

JillianR

This is his death record
    7692/1936 THOMPSON FREDERICK GAMALIEL WILLIAM MARY ANN HURSTVILLE

his marriage
    887/1876 THOMPSON FREDERICK G BYRNE EMMA F SYDNEY

and his children
    1977/1877 THOMPSON OSWALD FREDERICK G EMMA F SYDNEY
    7740/1881 THOMPSON ERNEST WILLIAM J FREDERICK EMMA FRANCES REDFERN
    7438/1883 THOMPSON WILLIAM HENRY FREDERICK GAMELIEL EMMA FRANCES NEWTOWN
    8303/1885 THOMPSON EVA E FREDERICK G EMMA F NEWTOWN
    9183/1886 THOMPSON EMMA T FREDERICK G EMMA F NEWTOWN
    17331/1892 THOMPSON CLARENCE R B FREDERICK G EMMA F HURSTVILLE

JillianR

And his birth record
    V1856266 159/1856 THOMPSON FREDERICK GAMALIEL WILLIAM MARY ANN

Loves to help with queries

Who are the witnesses on this marriage certificate?...could be a relative.

JillianR

Would be nice if there was more information in the index, wouldn't it?

Rob Faulkner

Jillian
    It certainly looks if Frederick Gamiliel Thompson the compositor is NOT my Frederick.
    The wedding cert of son WIlliam Henry states father is Frederic and mother Clara Davidson. I guess I was just 'straw clutching' at the occupation of compositor.
    Thank you for clarifying my request. That is another Frederick off the list! But you have, with the other respondees opened up the possibilities of where else to search.
    Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast