Haryc

Default Shinfield, Berkshire 1862-1870

Hi

Not sure if I am doing this right or not but here goes.

Is there anyone who has a directory for the above place and period that could
    do a look up for me please?

I could do with an address for George & Sarah Leaver who are living in Shinfield
    in 1865 when their son John, was born.

I know I am clutching at straws but I am desperate to have proof that John is my great grandfather
    and anything will help me build up a picture.

Many thanks

Carol

Reputation beyond repute

I am desperate to have proof that John is my great grandfather
    But this proof should come from later generations ie the birth certificate of your grandparent and John's marriage certificate.

The birth certificate mentioned above, which you should get if it's your man, will help you to progress your ancestry further back.

By the way, in the 1871 census George Leaver is shown as an Ag Lab and therefore unlikely to appear in a trade directory. But the unlikely can happen

Haryc

Hi All

Okay the full story.

John IS my great grand father. His marriage certificate gives him as aged 26 in Oct 1890 and his father as George, Labourer.

In 1891 he is down as 26 and born in Benenden (he is living in Cranbrook). In 1901 and 1911 his age and place of birth is constant.

I have looked for George in all the census and John in 1871 & 1881 all around Kent to no avail. There is no marriage or death for George. No birth for John.

I found this birth for John in Wokingham and sent for the certificate. It gives his father as George, Labourer and mother as Sarah.

I have tracked George around Hampshire (born in Stratsfieldsaye) and Berkshire in all the census.
    He married Sarah in 1862 and she died in 1868. He then married Louisa in 1870. John & his brother William are with them in 1871.

If this is anything to go by, John names his children after his (possible) siblings and grandparents.

I cannot find John anywhere in 1881.

I’m not sure where to go next, so you can see why I am clutching at straws.

Thank you for listening to my woes.

Carol

marmaduke123

I don't think the Wokingham birth is your one Carole. There is a death for a John Leaver aged 13 in Basingstoke RD December 1878. George Leaver and his family are are at Mapledurwell (Basingstoke RD) in 1881.

In 1881 I can see a John Lever aged 15 at St Nicholas Industrial School East Ham, down as born Lambeth. In 1871 he's with his parents in Lambeth, George and Mary. George is a labourer aged 49. I wonder if he died and the children were dependent on the parish? Maybe worth exploring.

Anne

Haryc

Hello Anne

Big sigh.

I have seen this family in Lambeth, I had discounted them for some reason.
    I will have to check again.

I've been finding these famillies and tracing them through the census until
    I find them in 1891. If I find them anywhere but Cranbrook I know it's not them.

I thought I had ruled out all of the possibilities. I have ordered a CD for Shinfield
    so I will wait for that and see if it is helpful or not then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I don't suppose a death certificate for John in 1878 will help a lot will it?

Oh well I need to sleep on it.

Many thanks for your help

Carol