W.Yorks Maggy

Default Beal School, West Yorkshire 1880-1900

https://www.kellington.net/page%2052.htm

This is a link to the log books from Beal School, West Yorkshire. It gives a fascinating insight into the goings-on in school in those days.

My grandfather is also mentioned, he was disciplined for playing truant

Hope someone will find it interesting.

Jane Elderfield

Thanks, Maggie. I loved the rhyming excuse note.

W.Yorks Maggy

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    Thanks, Maggie. I loved the rhyming excuse note.

This one?
    "To weed the garden this weedy season,
    I kept them Sir, and that's the reason
    If it be wrong to weed the garden,
    I'll drop the job and beg your pardon."

Glad you liked it Jane

W.Yorks Maggy

November 2 1896
    The Master punished J. Shaw and Albert Allison for playing truant.

Albert was my grandfather. He would have been 8 years old at the time

Nicolina

thanks for this. My father attended the school but it must have been about 1920. Hopefully they will add later years and who knows maybe I'll be able to find him.

robbiebee

The link above is now incorrect - that website has been replaced by a new Parish Council one and does not have material from the old site on it.
    The Beal School Log books can now be found in the history section of a new website

https://www.
    kellingtons-independent-website.co.uk/

Also of interest to anyone with connections to Kellington, Beal and area are the pages on Kellington Census rteturns and especially the Samuel Hirst diaries, a complete daily record kept by Samuel Hirst covering the years 1831 - 1880. Every day is covered and it makes fascinating reading. Samuel Hirst was a land and crop valuer and gentleman farmer.
    Unfortunately the log books can't cover more recent times at the moment because of data protection.
    There is however a memory bank being set up on the website to record the stories and memories of anyone with a connection to Kellington, and information and pictures may well appear there which are relevent to people's searches.
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 05-04-2012 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Edited link to website which has advertising links. Please see our AUP