Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Philippa_Harvey

Oh Elwyn, what a treasure trove (even if it didn't give you all that personal information). Now if I had a Scottish convict in my tree..........

The custodians of Irish records were very generous in sending to Australia what is commonly called "The Irish Gift" and it contains a lot of information about our Irish convicts - but not everything, unfortunately. A great deal of what I know about Michael and Joanna came from there, including a description of Michael. The rest of the family remain faceless, at least at this stage of my research. Michael and Joanna are both buried in Branxton, NSW (the place was formerly called Black Creek) but I've yet to work out how they got there and just who Michael worked for in the early days, after completing his sentence. I think he eventually became a minor land holder, but whether it was by lease or rental I have no idea just yet - from records seen so far it doesn't appear that he actually owned the land. That search continues.

At the moment I'm hot on the trail of Michael Jnr and his wife Margaret, trying to track them from the Hunter Valley in NSW to Queensland where they ended their days. I'm waiting on the arrival of a document which I hopes will set out some of the detail and so my eye is half on the screen, one quarter on the postman, and the other quarter on my email - waiting with bated breath!!

When that document is in my hands I'll transfer my attention back to the Irish newspapers to see if I can find mention of Michael Snr's trial. If I find that I'll see if anything of the actual trial papers have survived, but unfortunately it seems a lot of records have been destroyed, mainly by fire. So sad.

Thank you again for your interest - I'll certainly be posting here if I find anything interesting from the Irish end of our chain.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Philippa

Janet

I do not know if you know about this book on Cappoquin

www.
    cappoquin.org/awalkthroughhistory.shtml

I have Irish families going back to 1798 Thurles Tipperary and O'Brien is a prominent Tipperay name with North Wateford bordering on Tipperary. The above book may fill in those gaps in the general history of the area of your interest, possibly giving names which could be of some help to you. I find that getting back beyond 1798 in Ireland is almost impossible, so I have joined the Historical Societies of Tipperary and Cork to help me with the background history and have bought books on my areas of interest and it is suprising the names that come up for various reasons in these books.

Janet
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 05-03-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: direct link to commercial site - please read the AUP

Pat Sitton

Default Do you have any further information?

Hello Philippa,

Do you have any further information on this?

I believe that we have been in private communication before but I've lost your email address.
    I'm the son of Veronica Sitton O'Brien who compiled the ABGR entries for the relevant O'Briens that you mentioned.

I'm interested in any further that you've found on Michael O'Brien's origins in Waterford.

Could you please contact me off-list at psittonATcmugDOTcom as there is a personal situation that I want to mention?

thanks,
    Pat
    Last edited by christanel; 12-06-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Philippa_Harvey

Hi Pat.

No, unfortunately, nothing new at all. Am beginning to think it's a bit of a blind alley.

Have sent you an email.

Philippa

Philippa_Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I do not know if you know about this book on Cappoquin

www.
    cappoquin.org/awalkthroughhistory.shtml

I have Irish families going back to 1798 Thurles Tipperary and O'Brien is a prominent Tipperay name with North Wateford bordering on Tipperary. The above book may fill in those gaps in the general history of the area of your interest, possibly giving names which could be of some help to you. I find that getting back beyond 1798 in Ireland is almost impossible, so I have joined the Historical Societies of Tipperary and Cork to help me with the background history and have bought books on my areas of interest and it is suprising the names that come up for various reasons in these books.

Janet
    Janet, my sincere apologies for not responding - I didn't know you'd replied, no notification received, and it was only by chance that I found Pat's post today, leading me to yours.

I'll see if the national library has that book and hopefully change my ideas about massive brick walls.

Again, my apologies.

Philippa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12