Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    renwick

Question Births Ireland 1843

Wonder can anyone help, I would like to know if births where recorded in Ireland in the 1840's and would it be possible to get a birth certificate if they were. Is there a site like free BMD where I could get information on to send for a certificate. I am looking for a Robert David Fowler b about 1840 in Ireland, his brother Anderson Fowler is suppose to have been born in Fermargh 16 June 1843 Father George Fowler. Although the sons were born in Ireland I believe the parents are to English and hope if I can get a birth ceritifcate I can get the mother's name and may find them on a early census record or get their marriage certificate. Any help in how i could locate the birth certificate would be grealy appreciated:

Reputation beyond repute

It is well worth bookmarking GenUKI for all such questions.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Follow the links and you reach https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/#CivilRegistration

Jan1954

Hello Renwick,

Unfortunately, civil registration of births in Ireland did not start until 1864, so you would need to be looking for a baptismal certificate.

Have you searched the Irish Genealogy website?

Meanwhile, I shall slide this into the General Irish Family History forum.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi
    I had a look on the free search on the Irish History Foundation website – no births for Robert David Fowler or Anderson Fowler that I could see. Not all Irish births are indexed there tho. One marriage for Robert David Fowler in Antrim.
    Checking it on the Ulster Historical Foundation free search it is in 1866 in Antrim with father George – but you may already have this. If not you can download it for (Ithink) £4

Since no births popped up I looked on Free BMD and there is a birth of an Anderson Fowler 1840 in Pocklington which I think is Yorkshire. – yours? Or a cousin maybe.

Oops just reread your post and see you have a birthdate for Anderson in 1843 not 1840 so maybe not yours
    Last edited by grisel; 02-05-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: to add last sentence

renwick

Thanks for your help, I did find the Anderson Fowler on 1841 census in pockington, but could not find a Robert who was the eldest or George his father in that area. I have got a copy of Robert's marriage certificately unforuneately some ohers eligible though they did send a transcript of what could be read from the original one. They certainly seem to get about, as far as I can tell my grandfather was born in USA, great grandfather born Ireland, ggfather England. Andersons birthdate is what someone kindly sent to me for a passport application, but know quite often dates are not correct. Thanks again for your help. Maureen

renwick

Hi was afraid they might not start then, not sure as parents English whethe they would have been baptised in England or Ireland or which religion. Have got Robert's marriage, which is in Ireland and know the family where back in England after George died in 1860's, then most of George's sons went to the US 'in 1860/70's. Will try the site you suggested, many thanks

That's a pity that Robert's marriage certificate was not legible as I think it would have his mother's maiden name as well as the church. I wonder - did any of the other children marry in Ireland (rather than England) ?

another thought - did George die in Ireland? I've never seen an Irish death cert but it may have wife's details. (Someone on here will know)

renwick

I don't really know where George died, all I can find is that he was a merchant, think he owned a business which his sons took over in 1858, not sure if George was dead by then, pr the businesss was in Ireland or England or both. Robert married in Ireland 1866 after he was involved in the business, Robert and brother Anderson are in England 1871 census, then in America 1880 census. Robert returned to England about 1891 and died 1892. If I knew a bit more could try and find a will but there seems loads of Geoge Fowler who died 1857/58 in England and can't really find anything on a George Fowler dying in Ireland. Seems a lot of brickwalls at the moment

Hi Maureen

This has caught my attention so have had a ferret around.

Looked in my Irish book (tracing your Irish ancestors by GeorgeGrenham) Seems old Church of Ireland records were deposited in Dublin in 1870 and lost in 1922 fire which might explain why the births don’t pop up. Some records are still around. That’s assuming family were Cof I and not RC or some other denomination.

Then had a look at old newspapers – my library ticket lets me look at British newspapers online.

Nothing for George so far except a silk/wine merchant in Dublin. No birth notices for Anderson or Robert david.

Then looking for Anderson found dissolution of partnership of G Flowler, J Fowler, Alexander Fowler, Anderson Fowler, RD Fowler, W Fowler – Liverpool merchants, London Gazette 1871

This gave me some more names to play with.

In Belfast Newsletter 1878 death of an Alexander Fowler at Melbreck House, Allerton son of the late George Flowler of Brookeboro.

This death in Free bmd Jun Q 1878 West Derby 8b 423. (Liverpool) Age 46 so dob 1832. That would mean that Robert was not eldest son or that Alexander a cousin of some sort.

So if this Alexander is your Alexander it gives a location – very useful. Also a death in 1834 of widow of a George Fowler of Brookeborough – poss George’s father?

Googled Brookeborough and it is in Fermanagh. Googling Fowler Brookeborough lots of results.

Don’t know if the parish records for Brookeborough are available but PRONI would know.

Hope this is of some help.

grisel
    Last edited by grisel; 03-05-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: because I'd copied and pasted it 3 times by mistake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast