Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

hi again

Do you think they could have been Methodists? I've found a reference to a lease from Sir Arthur Brooke to anumber of people including a George Fowler for a plot of land to be used for a Methodist chapel.
    Document D998/26/591 of Brooke Deeds

And Googling Anderson Fowler Methodist brings up results too.....

No idea where Irish methodist baptisms will be. my Irish book says that PRONI has a list of surviving registers for Ulster so that might be worth a try.

And googling George fowler Methodist Fermanagh has brought me his death recorded in The Witness 3 Sep 1875

September 1st 1875 at the residence of his son Waltham House Chorlton Manchester, Mr George Fowler Brookeboro aged 82
    Last edited by grisel; 03-05-2010 at 3:27 PM. Reason: to add George's death

And it look as though PRONI do have the Methodist Baptisms for Brookeborough 1841 - 1954 so that looks very hopeful. The ref is MIc1E/28/1

I'm not at all sure but I think you may have to go there to look at them as they don't seem to be online. Or maybe they can check it for you.

Do hope that we are indeed on the right track and that you find Anderson's birth - and not a wild goose chase!

Rain drove me in from garden yet again so googled death george Fowler 1875 manchester and there was an abstact of his will in PRONI about halfway down the page! Proved in Armagh in 1876 No contents but the executor was George Fowler merchant Manchester - which makes me wonder which George died? _ Anderson's father or grandfather... He was 82 I don't know if the whole will is available . Be great if it were. Good luck.

renwick

Dear Grizel I can"t thank you enough, I have spent ages trawling though things and come up with nothing each time. The firm set up by the Fowler brothers in America according to the Chicago Tribune the share holders were Robert D Fowler, Anderson Fowler, George Fowler, John Fowler, William Fowler and Alexander Fowler, all the names/initials match the information of the disolution of the firm in 1871. The address given where George died in 1875, is the same address as the 1871 census gives for Robert D Fowler and his wife and children and his brother Anderson FOwler. Seems more than just coincedences. I know Robert moved to the US early 1870's as have got records of the birth of several children from about 1874 to 1880. Anderson could have already been living there. Not sure if some brothers stayed in England, I know one joined the ministry, Robert was married in the church of Ireland not a catholic church, and it looked as if his brother was involved with a methodist or similar church in America. I presume that PRONI would have a copy of the will if there was one, I don't suppose a copy would have been sent to England, might be worth a try if all else fails. I know the business was taken over by the sons in 1858, so not sure if the father had died or just handed it over, so George died 1875 could have been Father or Grandfather. May be worth seeing if I can get a death certificate as he died here. I presume with the baptisms I just write to PRONI with the information, will see if there is a way i can do it
    Last edited by renwick; 05-05-2010 at 4:08 PM. Reason: not finished

renwick

Sorry wouldn't let me continue so this is part two.
    Was saying i would look and see if there is anywhere on the site where I can order and pay for a search of the baptisms and also the will.
    I also was curious about the libary ticket, is it just an ordinary libary ticket that you use to get the newspaper reports, if so could you give me the web address please as all the newspaper things I click onto ask for payment. I just presumed a libary card was for the libary.
    I had not heard of PRONI before so will have a really good look at it but just wanted to let you know how much help your information has been and how it tied in with what I have already
    Once again may I express my gratutude for all the work you have done and the information you have sent. I will let you know if I manage to locate a will or baptism. Thanks again Maureen
    Last edited by renwick; 05-05-2010 at 4:17 PM. Reason: missed a bit

Happy to help - much more satisfying than the search for my own impossible to find Irish ancestors!

My library card has a bar code. When I log into my library site on the county council web site there is a link to their interactive catalogue. In there is another link to 19th Century Nespapers online. When you click that it asks you to enter your library card bar code - and it takes you to the newspaper site. I first heard of it from someone else on the forum. Your library probably does it too. All free.

Good luck with the rest of your search - let us know if you find them!

And I meant to add - I wondered about the reference for George's death. The death notice definitely said Chorlton for place of death but the BMD ref said registered Barton. So you might want to check that if you are thinking of ordering it.

renwick

Hi Grisel
    As promised just updating you with what I have found thanks to your help, once again Many thanks I would never have found so much out without your dedication I am really grateful. Will let you know if I find Robert’s Baptism. I am also going to see if I can find a Methodist church in the area Drexel Avenue Chicago USA. Thanks again Maureen
    BAPTISMS
    Cannot find Robert my great grandfather's baptism yet as the church I thought he would have been baptised in was not used for baptisms until 1841, so he was probably baptised before then Have found the baptism of his youngest brother Anderson born June 16 1841, not 1843 as stated on passport application, also two sisters Anna Marie born 6th Jan 1845 and Eleanor Elizabeth B 1846 all baptised at Brookborough Methodist Church on 8th October 1846. Parent George and Anne Fowler of Brookborough. The two girls are not mentioned in George's will, so not sure if they were still alive in 1875. I am trying another church which was used in the area prior to the one I found Anderson's baptism record in to see if I can find Robert's Baptism and his parents marriage, unfortueately that one only has births from 1813 so doubt if George's Baptism will be there
    Part two to follow

renwick

Part two
    WILL
    I have also got George’s Will this lists all the sons I knew about leaves annual payments to them from his lands at Rathkeeland and Littlemount in Fermanagh, which are leased out, it also mentions another daughter Mary Jane. There is also mention of a House and tenament in Brrookborough and Land in Lismalone, Brookeborough and Cooleaghul. There is a legacy to his sister Maria Elliott.
    Also
    Found land leased to Mary Fowler 1809 for lives of George and Anna Maria, mentions Maria as sister in will, that with the bit about a widow in 1834 makes me wonder if this was George’s Mother. I have found the death of Robert Nesbit Fowler in 1902, Alexander’s brother, so the Robert Nesbitt Keohler solicitor for his Mother’s will in 1909 was not Alexander’s brother, but think may have been a cousin as his mother’s maiden name was Nesbitt.
    I might add Proni where really helpful and although a bit expensive they sent forms and listed what I needed and very quickly sent back the information.

Thanks again Maureen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12