chaney999

Default WILSON from HULL, YORKSHIRE

Hi all

I have been searching for sometime for my Wilson family who settled in houses in Hull. My G Grandfather George Wilson born 1828 married Deliah Boss or Boswell and her sister Brittannia married William Wilson. I have thought for sometime that two gypsy brothers married two gypsy sisters.

This is now confirmed with marriage and death certificates. Both William and George's father was JAMES WILSON occupation traveller.

However i desperately want to go a step further, so i am now hunting JAMES WILSON who had two sons GEORGE and WILLIAM, I feel sure that JAMES would have had more children but i do not know anymore as yet.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Many Thanks

chaney999

Further to this I have found that James Wilson was born 1796 in Londonderry, Ireland.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default wilson

Do you know if William was a protestant minister?

I have found :

James Wilson 55yrs (born ,Ireland,Londonderry)
    William 23yrs
    Anne 4yrs

44 Garden St Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire.

Does not mention travellers but there are a lot of others at the same address with different names,could have been a site perhaps!

chaney999

Default WILSON from Hull

My aplogies, Yes i have them at garden street in 1851 however James Wilson is definitely a traveller as per marriage certs etc., I think William and George married the two Boss sisters and both settled in houses.

I am trying to find James and whom he was married to. I have also lost William after 1851

Ditch

Quote Originally Posted by chaney999 View Post
    Hi all

I have been searching for sometime for my Wilson family who settled in houses in Hull. My G Grandfather George Wilson born 1828 married Deliah Boss or Boswell and her sister Brittannia married William Wilson. I have thought for sometime that two gypsy brothers married two gypsy sisters.

This is now confirmed with marriage and death certificates. Both William and George's father was JAMES WILSON occupation traveller.

Chaney; What makes ye certain that these people were Gypsys, ever or at all? Granted; Wilson and Boss / Boswell are generally accepted as Gypsy names. But, so are Cooper and Smith. I take it ye have evidence of them having been on the road before these marriages?

Thing that catches my eye here is the bit about the " Marriage and death certificates. Both William and George's father was JAMES WILSON occupationTraveller. "

More Gypsys would have given their Occupation as things like Hawker, Cutler, Grinder, Flower Seller, even Agricultural Labourer etc.

But, " Traveller " ? Check out ye " Carry On " films. " I'm Travelling in Ladies Underwear. " (Matron!!!)

The term, employment wise, generally applied to a 'Travelling Salesman'. Pretty much what we'd now know as a " Sales Rep' ".

Not saying ye wrong, for a moment. Just querying if ye've covered all the holes

A fountain of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
    Chaney; What makes ye certain that these people were Gypsys, ever or at all? Granted; Wilson and Boss / Boswell are generally accepted as Gypsy names. But, so are Cooper and Smith. I take it ye have evidence of them having been on the road before these marriages?

Thing that catches my eye here is the bit about the " Marriage and death certificates. Both William and George's father was JAMES WILSON occupationTraveller. "

More Gypsys would have given their Occupation as things like Hawker, Cutler, Grinder, Flower Seller, even Agricultural Labourer etc.

But, " Traveller " ? Check out ye " Carry On " films. " I'm Travelling in Ladies Underwear. " (Matron!!!)

The term, employment wise, generally applied to a 'Travelling Salesman'. Pretty much what we'd now know as a " Sales Rep' ".

Not saying ye wrong, for a moment. Just querying if ye've covered all the holes
    Oh I think they were travellers. Perhaps Irish travellers rather than English. But I think they were, they married into one of the best known Romany families going, and are extremely hard to find on any census/BMD et data. Good enough for me. x

chaney999

They are definitely gypsies as they are well documented in various areas. Riley boss was Deliah and Brittanias father and again documented in Rev Hall's book which i have. He also speaks of visiting the wilsons in a small shop in Hull. This shop belonged to George and Deliah Wilson. I am certain. Thank you for rtfhs however i am already a member. In our area we also have a static travellers site and they are descendents of my family. We talk often.

Ditch

Chaney999; You still about? Only, I wonder if any of ye people there ever have anything to do with the Huntley family around Hull?

Ditch

Very fair point, Notanotherminer. In fact, my question was prompted by personal observations of people very much alive, in Hull, within the past decade.

My apologies. The night has been long and the stout rather excellent!

If the OP is still receiving from this thread though? I would, indeed, enjoy a natter ~ by PM

chaney999

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Now that sounds like a great way to spend an evening
    I am still around, but really sorry I have not heard of the Huntley name in the Hull area.