Thread: OXFORD TRIALS

kathray

Default OXFORD TRIALS

RICHARD ENSTON found in TASMANIA, Convict TRIED at OXFORD 1st JULY 1844.
    LINK BELOW to see RECORD.
    https://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...62,278,64,L,80

I have a RICHARD ENSTEN who disapeared after 1841 Census.
    Is the RECORD available of the TRIAL, looking for a clue to see if this is my Fellow.

THANKING YOU
    RAY ENSTEN (Adelaide)

Thomasin

Unfortunately, the records of trials at Oxford seem to start in 1845 in the National Archives, but the Queensland Government site shows that Richard Enston was one of 270 convicts transported on the 'William Jardine', 10th August 1844 to Van Diemen's Land. 'Convicted at Oxford Quarter Sessions for a term of 7 years'.

Thomasin

Thomasin

Have a look at the Oxfordshire Family History Society book sales. They do have a series called 'Banished! Sentences of Transportation from Oxfordshire Courts 1787-1867', which would cost £8.00 for overseas customers.

As far as I can see, their 'Calendar of Prisoners tried at Oxford Quarter Sessions and Assize Courts' ends in 1842!

Thomasin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin
    Unfortunately, the records of trials at Oxford seem to start in 1845 in the National Archives
    Although Assize records for Oxford exist earlier; with Criminal Depositions and Case Papers dating back to 1719 surviving in ASSI6 Records for 1841-1845 appear to be in the subset ASSI6/5

Though as the records are not available in the inter-webby-thingy, access from Adelaide will prove difficult.

AnnB

From Jackson's Oxford Journal of Saturday July 6th 1844 (page 3 under heading Prisoners)

Richard Enston and Charles Rudge, indicted for having stolen one gun, one coat, two waistcoats and several other articles of wearing apparel, the property of James Preston. Verdict, guilty: and each to be transported for seven years.

Not much help really!

Best wishes
    Ann

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB
    Richard Enston and Charles Rudge, indicted for having stolen one gun, one coat, two waistcoats and several other articles of wearing apparel, the property of James Preston. Verdict, guilty: and each to be transported for seven years.

Not much help really!
    The 1841 census shows a Richard ENSTONE and a James PRESTON in Oxford - obviously not certain that they are the same as mentioned in the newspaper, but there's a chance. So the question then is, where has the Richard ENSTEN originally mentioned been found in the 1841 census?

kathray

My RICHARD ENSTEN was at home with rest of family at HARROW in 1841 Census.
    Nothing found after.