Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    doolah

Default Rogers - Kirtlington

HI All,

I am new here and am hoping that you can help me!!

I am researching my Rogers line but have got a bit stuck!

I am looking for a William Rogers.
    The info I have is about his son George Rogers born 1820 kirtlington, Married harriett cave in 1844 in Banbury. I have the marriage cert and it states his fathers name as William and his occ as farmer.
    Does anyone have access to the parish records for kirtlington who woud be able to do a look up for me or better still is anyone local to kirtlington who could do a quick look round the grave yard to see if there are any clues??
    Any help much appreciated!
    Thank you
    Julia

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi
    Have you found George & Harriett with their children on the Census from 1851 onward, I do'nt want to give you the same info if you have already found it.
    Regards sandy

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there

Oxfordshire FHS seem to have a CD with the Kirtlington parish records for sale - £18. 50 inc postage but they also do a search service for a very small fee. Check out search services on their web site.

janbooth

Hello Julia,

Could your George have been born before his parent's marriage? On the Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index there is a marriage at Bletchingdon on 11 November 1824 of a William ROGERS of Kirtlington and an Ann ROGERS. From the marriage records, it certainly looks as if the ROGERS families go back to the mid 18th century in Kirtlington, the earliest being that of a Thomas ROGERS of Kirtlington in 1732 and a William ROGERS in 1744, so investing in the Kirtlington CD could be worth your while.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hello Julia,

Could your George have been born before his parent's marriage? On the Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index there is a marriage at Bletchingdon on 11 November 1824 of a William ROGERS of Kirtlington and an Ann ROGERS. From the marriage records, it certainly looks as if the ROGERS families go back to the mid 18th century in Kirtlington, the earliest being that of a Thomas ROGERS of Kirtlington in 1732 and a William ROGERS in 1744, so investing in the Kirtlington CD could be worth your while.

Janet
    Hi Jan
    Can you find a Caroline Rogers with the same Parents as I think George is with a sister Caroline born 1816 on the 1841 Census
    at Tusmore, near Bicester, Oxfordshire.
    1851 Census also has a Nephew - Thomas Rogers, Born 1829 at Whitfield, Northamptonshire so there could be a possible Brother somewhere as well

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandyhall; 28-05-2010 at 9:40 AM. Reason: to add to

janbooth

Julia,

How about this William ROGERS in the 1841 census of Kirtlington:

HO107/886/8, folio 4, page 1

William ROGERS 66 Farmer Born in county yes
    Mary do 60 no
    Rachel do 20 no

Janet

janbooth

Default ROGERS of Kirtlington

Julia,

Another avenue for you to explore. If you go to Oxfordshire FHS website, there is a link to "Wills" transcriptions. There are several wills for ROGERS families of Kirtlington and mentions of a William ROGERS of Kirtlington, most of them Yeomen or Farmers - could perhaps be useful to you.

Janet

Hi
    I think I've found Thomas "the nephew's" mother another Caroline and her Daughters Mary and Sarah in 1841 Census with a Sister in Law Mary Rogers living in Evenly in the same house as George & Harriett Robert's lived in on a later Census.

So I now have as a possible family
    Father William Rogers
    Mother Unknown
    Son - George Rogers
    Son - Unknown Rogers
    Daughter - Caroline Rogers
    Daughter - Mary Rogers
    Daughter in Law - Harriett Cove (George's wife)
    Daughter in Law - Caroline (last name unknown - Husband unknown Rogers)

Sandy

janbooth

Back again - on the same site there is the will of a Thomas ROGERS of Bletchington dated 1828 in which he mentions daughters Ann & Caroline - perhaps relevant to you given the marriage I found of a William ROGERS.

Janet

janbooth

Default ROGERS family

Sandy, we cross posted. Thomas ROGERS of Bletchington's will mentions his daughter Caroline wife of his son in law Thomas ROGERS - sounds likely doesn't it. Daughter Ann gets nothing because "I have already given her what I deem sufficient" - so there!!

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast