Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Joseph Godfrey Colour Sergeant Royal Marines

I have read an old thread on this site and now thankfully understand the difference between the Marines and the Navy. I also read about the Royal Marine Museum which I will visit in the summer.
    My question is does anyone know or can point me in the direction of finding out the ranks of the Marines. My Joseph went from Private to Corporal to Sergeant to Colour Sergeant. He served 21 years 1841-1862. Serving on the Kile, The Rodney and The Boscawen. He was stationed at Woolwich. Or can anyone suggest anywhere else I might visit to find more information.
    Regards ELMA

Hollytree

This the MoD's site, not sure if the ranks are the same as in the past, but might be worth looking at. The R M Museum that you are planninig to visit should be able to help too.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmar...d-other-ranks/

Anne
    Last edited by Hollytree; 22-04-2010 at 7:34 AM. Reason: typo errors

Thanks Hollytree that was useful. It seems my Joseph was just below officer level but I expect that was a big step on. I will go to the musuem a little more educated!
    Thanks again Elma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This one willl show the differences between UK & USA
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Elma

Just in case you do not already have this information Joseph was awarded the Royal Navy Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, with a £5 gratuity, in February 1863. This was for a total of 21 years 164 days service, of which 6 years and 193 days were served at sea. The medal itself is the much sought after Victorian 'Wide Suspender' variety, although from Capt. Douglas-Morris's book it is not listed as being known to have survived. However, this does not mean to say that it hasn't.

If Joseph was serving at sea between 1854 and 1855, I can check the Baltic and Crimea Medal Rolls for you to see if he was awarded either of these medals, just let me know what ships he served on.

If you do visit the RM Museum you must look into the medal room, it will knock your eyes out!!!

Regards

Martin

Thank you everyone for your replies. It really helps to understand things and Joseph is becoming a real character. He did well to serve 21 years and become a colour sergeant.
    Martin in reply to your questions, yes Joseph did serve at sea between 1854 and 1857. I did get his records from the National Archives and I am sure they are not complete because I did not know about his £5 gratuity.
    He served aboard
    The Kile between 19th February 1842 and 22 August 1843
    The Rodney between 23rd February 1845 and 10th October 1846
    The Boscawen between 13th December 1853 and 4th May 1857
    Joseph named two of his children after ships he served on Rodney and Boscawen. Joseph served in the 80th Company
    I am really looking forward to visiting the museum and I am trying to get my information together so that my 10 year old grandson can identify what Joseph was about. Perhaps we might see some uniform and of course the medals.
    Interesting Joseph joined The Marines with his 'brother' Charles. They were bought up by the same 'father', although Joseph's mother and Charles were sister and brother. So Joseph was really the nephew of Charles. They were however similar ages.
    Joseph and Charles Godfrey both attested at Wells on 21st July 1841. I am not sure what ships Charles served on or how long he served I believe he was invalided out. He did receive a pension as well. I have only copies of his attestation paper. This does say Charles received the sum of £3 and 17 shillings and six pence as his Bounty. Is this what was given for joining?
    Thank you for reading through my ramble I do appreciate the help I get
    Regards Elma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Elma, sorry for the delay in replying, I was one of those affected by the Log In problem.

I can confirm that Sgt. Joseph Godfrey is on the Baltic Medal roll for his service on board HMS Boscawen during the Crimean War. These particular medals to the Royal Navy and Marines were issued unnamed, so unless he had his privately engraved you are unlikely to find it - unless of course another branch of your family still has it.

Martin