Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bunny1951

Default A Catholic Orphanage in Enfield

I am looking for a catholic orphanage in enfield in 1920-1933, run by nun's my father was raised there thanks for any help. Bunny1951

Jan1954

Hello Bunny1951,

It could well have been St Joseph's. There is an article on the BBC's WW2 People's War about one lad's experiences there. A bit later than your Dad's days, but pertinent all the same.

Bunny1951

Thanks for that I will look in to that further, Bunny1951

Reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that I will look in to that further
    If you're hoping to find records, I wouldn't advise investing too much effort. To the best of my knowledge all but a small handful of Roman Catholic orphanage archives have been destroyed or otherwise put beyond use.

LaurenceB

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If you're hoping to find records, I wouldn't advise investing too much effort. To the best of my knowledge all but a small handful of Roman Catholic orphanage archives have been destroyed or otherwise put beyond use.
    Perhaps I was lucky, but when I asked the CCS if they had any information on my relative, they sent me a copy of a register with his name and dates of entry and leaving and financial contribution from his mother (no, he wasn't actually an orphan), as well as a map and pictures of the institution. They did ask for a £15 donation but that seemed fair enough. This was St Mary's, North Hyde near Heston. On the other hand I have not been able to trace any records from St Anne's, Leicester Place, Soho, where his sister was sent.

pladju kate

Hi Bunny,
    Information about St Joseph's home for children can be found on
    www.
    blaisdonbrotherhood.info

It is a website for past pupils of the home and is well worth a look.
    pladju kate
    Last edited by MarkJ; 26-06-2010 at 8:55 PM. Reason: URL edited to fix error, plus commercial - they sell books

louismc44

Hi all
    My name is Louis Boyce
    I was brought up at St Joseph in Enfield. I spent 10 years there, from 1949-1959
    What was your dads name?

Bunny1951

Hi Louis My Dad's name was Edward Bunn he was in St Joseph in Enfield from 1919-1933/4 & he hated every day, Nice to hear from somebody else that was in St Joseph. All the best Phillip Bunn

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default St Joseph in Enfield

Quote Originally Posted by louismc44 View Post
    Hi all
    My name is Louis Boyce
    I was brought up at St Joseph in Enfield. I spent 10 years there, from 1949-1959
    What was your dads name?
    Hi Louis,

I am looking for information about Juanita Dirks Dates out of Argentina she worked there possibly during the time you were there. Her name given to her there could be Carmella. She died in approx. 1962
    Any information could be helpful.

kind regards

Danny

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Enfield Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by louismc44 View Post
    Hi all
    My name is Louis Boyce
    What was your dads name?

I believe my Uncle was there from 1939-1950. His name is Sam Hayes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast