Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wrinkly

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Of course. We don't believe that the sins of the fathers should be borne by the children.

If we did that there would be a lot less members.
    Thanks Procat - that's a relief! I find the whole thing interesting, intriguing and embarrassing! But, of course, I don't know the circumstances - how desperate he may or may not have been......... all I know is that he had a young child and his wife died around that time so who knows what pressure he was under.......... there but for the grace of God go I!

wrinkly

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Nannas View Post
    Hiya,
    Sometimes it wasn't about "what" you did to offend but about "who" you offended.
    There were people sent to jail for a year for stealing 'one slice' of bacon,,,,and others who murdered illegitimate children who only got good behaviour bonds!!!
    Generally, crimes against property carried higher penalties than crimes against people.

You might find this background material from the Old Baileywebsite is instructive.

wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Generally, crimes against property carried higher penalties than crimes against people.

You might find this background material from the Old Baileywebsite is instructive.
    Thanks Kerrywood that is most interesting.

Wrinkly

jeffbird

Default Contribution box

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    I recently found an ancestor on the Criminal Register........ oops... embarrassing........ but intriguing.
    He got 6 months imprisonment with 12 months police supervision for larceny.
    Hull C.C. found the newspaper report and the report of the quarter sessions for me.
    What did he steal? "A contribution box containing five copper pence and certain foreign coins".
    6 months seems a long time for 5d... even though it was his second offence...........
    Does anyone know what that would be in today's money?
    Incidentally he was caught red-handed and the box was locked so he probably had no idea how much (or little) was in it.......
    Wrinkly
    I am intrigued about how you obtained this level of detail about such a minor offence. I have found a possible match for one of my ancestors who, according to the online England & Wales Criminal Registers, was sentenced to six months in prison for "larceny simple" which I suspect is similar to your relative's offence. Did you need to view the records in person or is there some form of online access? I live in Australia. So it's online or nothing for me.
    - jeffbird

wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbird View Post
    I am intrigued about how you obtained this level of detail about such a minor offence. I have found a possible match for one of my ancestors who, according to the online England & Wales Criminal Registers, was sentenced to six months in prison for "larceny simple" which I suspect is similar to your relative's offence. Did you need to view the records in person or is there some form of online access? I live in Australia. So it's online or nothing for me.
    - jeffbird
    Hi Jeffbird, sorry for the delay but have been away recuperating! I, too, live in Australia so have to do everything on line. As the offence took place in Hull and I couldn't find anything on line I emailed the Hull History Centre and asked if they had newspaper reports of the event. They not only found those but also a report of the Quarter Sessions. I had to pay of course, but they sent me photocopies of both and it was well worth the money! I think for the whole lot it was about $40. but can check the exact amount if you want.

Hope your research is just as fruitful.

Wrinkly

jeffbird

Default Contribution box

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Hi Jeffbird, sorry for the delay but have been away recuperating! I, too, live in Australia so have to do everything on line. As the offence took place in Hull and I couldn't find anything on line I emailed the Hull History Centre and asked if they had newspaper reports of the event. They not only found those but also a report of the Quarter Sessions. I had to pay of course, but they sent me photocopies of both and it was well worth the money! I think for the whole lot it was about $40. but can check the exact amount if you want.

Hope your research is just as fruitful.

Wrinkly
    When you say they found "a report of the Quarter Sessions", does that mean they provided a transcript of the entire court case?
    - jeffbird

wrinkly

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbird View Post
    When you say they found "a report of the Quarter Sessions", does that mean they provided a transcript of the entire court case?
    - jeffbird
    I think so. Certainly witness statements re the offence, the statement of the police officer etc.... but not the judge/magistrate summing up or whatever.

Wrinkly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12