froghollow

Default WinREG - my problem

In my transcripts folder I have a file that merely has the name CAMCONBA it should have .CSV after it but it does not (I have actually finished transcribing the file).

I can open that file in WinREG but I can not save it as it should be saved, completely with its CSV tag.

below is a list of the Action Bar tabs .
    Not every tab is active and I expect that they should be :

Action Tab Bar

These are actions that permit you to

Start a New Project.

Open an Existing Project

Save the current project if it has been changed.(not active)

Review error messages from FreeREG associated with this file.( not active)

Add a Record

Delete a Record (not active)

Access Helpful Hints by context (Not fully implemented yet)

I have uninstalled WinREG (including deleting the original download from my download folder).

I have reinstalled WinREG and I still have the same problem.

Please can anyone help, advise, point me in the right direction, tell me what I am doing that is wrong or that I have omitted to learn to put into action ?

In hope

Carole

froghollow

I now am able to forward my CSV files ! Amazing, apparently because I opened a new file. Am I just a slow learner or is there something else I need to know ?

stevenpenny

At the risk of being shot by the team leaders, I tend to use FreeReg to create the first half dozen lines and then just open the spreadsheet in Excel and enter data directly into it. That way you can just copy the image and page numbers ratehr than having to re-type them for every record. When i have finished the record set I then again open the file in FreeReg, save it and close it. When you open the file in Freereg after editing it in Excel you will get a message to the effect that the file has been edited in Excel. Just accept the message and move on.

This works well for Births and Deaths but is a bit unwieldy for Marriages due to the number of columns that it uses. But you'll soon adapt.

To avoid any problems I always save a copy of the spreadsheet in another folder or onto a data stick just in case it all goes pear-shaped.

And of course, if Diana Rogers is reading this then I am making it all up as I go along.....

Steve

froghollow

Many thanks Steve for passing on the hyperthetical hint :-)
    Carole