rogtut

Default Selina Entwistle of Preston

My ancestor William Tutton (a Stockport, Cheshire family) married a Selina Entwistle in Stockport in 1844. The 1851 and 1871 census records (1861 is mysteriously missing despite a very thorough search) show that Selina was born in Preston, Lancs in about 1822.

The 1841 census shows a Salina E aged about right living in Stockport with her mother Fanny and several siblings (eldest Rodger) but, of course no place of birth.

The only Entwistles that fit that I can find via IGI and Ancestry were born in Bolton Le Moors rather than Preston.

Any help using local knowledge (I am a Londoner) will be gratefully accepted. Entwistle seems to be a very common name in Lancashire!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

cheshirebmd.org.uk show the marriage recorded as Wm TUTTER in 1844 at ST Mary's Chuirch Cheadle.....

Jnae as TUTTEN b 1849, Martha TUTTON 1852 and Slinea A SUTTON 1856

In 1841 the ENTWISTLE family were living in Lacey St Stockport

If you look at the ENTWISTLE family in 1851 H107 2156 114, Moseley Street Cheadle Bulkley ( pronounced Bewkley), the mother, Roger and Alice all show Bolton as their place of birth, there is also a dau Fanny who states Stockport, I think she is younger than Selina

I would be inclined to think the family came form the Bolton area probably on the Preston side.

You have quite a few children so should be able to pinpoint the parish they hailes from

Try https://pilot.familysearch.org

geneius

rogtut

Hello

Thank you very much for your response. I had done some more work on the Entwistles but somehow managed to miss the 1851 census!

According to the marriage cert of Selina and William Tutton in 1844 Selina's father was James Entwistle (occupation Carder) and I found a marriage on LDS of James E and Frances (Fanny?) Wood: -

James Entwisle
    Bride's Name: Frances Wood
    Marriage Date: 09 Dec 1810
    Marriage Place: St Peter's Church, Bolton-Le-Moors, Lancashire, England
    Source Film Number: 559180
    Reference Number: 96
    Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

This seems to fit but I'm not sure where Bolton-le-Moors is in relation to Bolton or Preston. I viewed the marriage on the LDS film but it does not help except that James is described as a Cotton Carder. I think that this was a common occupation in Lancashire and Cheshire at the time.

The 1841 Census (HO107; Piece 113; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Stockport; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 33; Page: 14; Line: 1) is a little confusing in that there seem to be two Hannahs - one aged 15 (it looks like Hannah?) and the other aged 2.

If Hannah is the daughter of James and Fanny and was born in 1839 then her birth cert should reveal her mother's maiden name.There is a record on BDM:

Hannah Entwistle
    Year of Registration: 1839
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Stockport
    County: Cheshire, Lancashire
    Volume: 19
    Page: 279

I need to decide whether to spend the £9.25 to obtain the cert or whether other similar situations in my ever expanding trees take precedence.

Kind regards and thanks again for your help.

Roger J Tutton

The Parish Church of St Peter, Bolton-le-Moors, commonly known as Bolton Parish Church, is a Church of England building in Bolton, Greater Manchester ..."‎ wikipedia.org‎

Pictures of the church at genuki.co.uk and geograph.org.uk ( prefix both with www. )

If Hannah is the daughter of James and Fanny and was born in 1839 then her birth cert should reveal her mother's maiden name.There is a record on BDM:
    Cheaper option Parish record entry if baptised....so hold fire on that, I think we may be looking at either St Matthews Edgeley or St Mary's Cheadle PR for that, both held in Stockport library ( again try geograph, there sre some good photo's of St Mary's)

I think just generally looking for thefamily in the Stockport PR will assist you....I can hear you say I live in London....ar yes but I live down the road from all this! just need to factor into my life... in the next couple of weeks unless someone else picks up the mail!

Have pm'd you
    geneius

rogtut

Hi

I've just tried to pm but got the following message:

geneius has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Roger

Hello

I've cleared it NOW!

geneius

Loves to help with queries

I found this on Cheshire BMD if it helps. Hannah Entwistle born March 1839 Stockport mothers maiden name Smith
    regards Looby

TrishaT

Hello rogtut. I have just seen your post about the Entwistle family....I am working on this family too and am descended from a sister of Selina. I have quite a lot of information on Selina and her siblings but haven't managed to get back any further than James and Fanny despite numerous attempts.
    Half the children were born in the Bolton area and they must have moved to Stockport between 1821 and 1827 where the rest of the children were born. The Cheadle Bulkeley area (pronounced Buckley and not Bewkley by the way) is Edgeley a suburb of Stockport where they lived. I don't know if Selina was a twin or if it was just two children being baptised at the same time,the other one being a Sarah.
    This family is a complete headache as you may have discovered. I won't write more in case you are no longer interested as your post is 5 years old.

Loves to help with queries

Have you tried the Entwistle FHS? cicilysmith

TrishaT

Yes I have thanks, it was this particular person I wanted to contact.