Jane Elderfield

Default Nelson's Victory Centenary plaque 1905

I inherited an interesting item. It's a copper tray or plaque, about 14" diameter, elaborately engraved with an anchor, rope, scrolls, and an image of the ship VICTORY, and the following inscription:

NELSON'S VICTORY

CENTENARY MEMENTO
    E.R. VII

Presented by the BRITISH & FOREIGN Sailor's Society

Containing Victory Copper from LORDS of ADMIRALTY

ENGLAND EXPECTS THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY

Oct. 21st 1805 * Oct. 21st 1905

I presume that this souvenir came into the family through my grandfather who served at that time in the Royal Navy. (He was a Stoker, Chief Petty Officer.) In later years, he and his wife were Master & Matron of a Seamen's Home.

Does anyone know anything about this "memento"? Would it have been presented to him? Or did all sailors have the option to purchase one?

I suspect the proportion of "Victory Copper" in its makeup is mighty small !

Any information would be appreciated.

--Jane E

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this "memento"? Would it have been presented to him? Or did all sailors have the option to purchase one?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    I hesitate to advertise another forum on this one, but this is a dedicated 'Nelson' forum and I've found them very helpful on other matters. (and no one on BG seems to have an answer for you!)

https://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/f...wforum.php?f=4

You'll need to register to post on it but it's no more arduous than registering on BG.

Good luck -

Cheers, MTS

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    I inherited an interesting item. It's a copper tray or plaque, about 14" diameter, elaborately engraved with an anchor, rope, scrolls, and an image of the ship VICTORY...
    Hi Jane,

In the unlikely event that you haven't resolved this since you made your original post ...

Does your tray look anything like this?

www.
    cloudcuckooland.biz/victorytray1.jpg

Rather than being presented, these and other such items were sold in 1905 by the British and Foreign Sailors' Society to raise money for the the Nelson Centenary Memorial Fund.

Further information is here ...

www.
    oldcopper.org/hms victory medalets.htm

...and there's plenty more if you google.

Jane Elderfield

Dear Kerrywood--

As always, you are right on!

Thank you for the explanation, and the links to other mementos of "Victory" copper.

And I've noticed that for British history questions, Brit-Gen members usually have quicker and more accurate answers than "googling"!

Thank you again.

Also thanks to emmteeyess for the Nelson website.

Kind regards--

Jane E