Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Glenys H

Hi - I just found your thread. The Edward Palfrey you mention married my great aunt Mary May Juby in Chelsea. There is a tale to this which we have only just found out. They had 3 children - Doris who died at birth, Eunice and Edward Charles. Mary May and my grandmother, Clara Isabella Juby, moved to Chelsea from Norfolk and went into service. They got married at around the same time in 1911. My grandmother, Clara, was married to George Terry. (Their father was killed in a steam wagon accident in 1895 when Clara was 5 - their mother died around 1917). They had a sister, Florence, who was around 18 years older. She married George Barton and she died of bowl cancer in 1923. George took up with the widow of Edward Palfrey, Mary May, but murdered her in 1925 (cut her throat I believe). He was hung at Pentonville on 2/4/1925. He had a son Bert (Albert). I surmise that the Palfrey children, Eunice and Edward Charles may have gone to live with their paternal grandparents in Pershore - do you have any information about them? My uncle, Stan Terry, lived in Malvern and I'm sure we went to visit some relatives in Pershore around 1960 and we also had a Great Aunt Annie and Great Uncle Fred in that area - they would have been the same age as my grandparents.

Glenys H

Default Palfreys of Pershore

Quote Originally Posted by Janet M View Post
    I have found Palfrey family members that have moved from Pershore area. Edwin b 1888 went to the Royal Duke of Yorks military school in Dover and then joined the Grenadier Guards and married a lady in Chelsea (he was later killed in the Somme) I managed to contact his Grandaughter who knew nothing about the Pershore side of the family but she was very pleased to be able to fill her father on family he did not know about.Edwin (sometimes called Edward) is on the Pershore roll of honour.
    James b 1851 married Clara Baker and moved to Aston where he was a plasterer. George Palfrey b Stoulton moved to Rothwell in Northamptonshire,
    I will look to see if I can find any in the Hereford area
    Janet
    Hi - I just found your thread. The Edward Palfrey you mention married my great aunt Mary May Juby in Chelsea. There is a tale to this which we have only just found out. They had 3 children - Doris who died at birth, Eunice and Edward Charles. Mary May and my grandmother, Clara Isabella Juby, moved to Chelsea from Norfolk and went into service. They got married at around the same time in 1911. My grandmother, Clara, was married to George Terry. (Their father was killed in a steam wagon accident in 1895 when Clara was 5 - their mother died around 1917). They had a sister, Florence, who was around 18 years older. She married George Barton and she died of bowl cancer in 1923. George took up with the widow of Edward Palfrey, Mary May, but murdered her in 1925 (cut her throat I believe). He was hung at Pentonville on 2/4/1925. He had a son Bert (Albert). I surmise that the Palfrey children, Eunice and Edward Charles may have gone to live with their paternal grandparents in Pershore - do you have any information about them? My uncle, Stan Terry, lived in Malvern and I'm sure we went to visit some relatives in Pershore around 1960 and we also had a Great Aunt Annie and Great Uncle Fred in that area - they would have been the same age as my grandparents.

Janet M

Hi
    I have recently found that Doris died at birth in 1913
    Kind regards
    Janet

Janet M

Hi Glenys
    What an interesting discovery !! I am going to my village family history group tonight after the summer recess and your findings will make interesting news.
    Eunice Florence married Stan Rust and they had three children. Edward Charles married Rose Eley and had two children .
    I will try and find more information on Eunice and Edward for you, I live near Pershore so can make a visit to the records office in Worcester.
    Kind regards
    Janet

Janet M

Hi Glenys
    There is a book I have found on Google called "Hanged at Pentonville" by Steve Fielding which has an article called " Not playing the game " there you can find out about Mary Palfrey ( nee Juby) and her relationship with George Barton, apparently her son Edward found her body.
    Kind regards
    Janet

Glenys H

Default Palfreys etc

Hi Janet

I have a book 'The Encyclopaedia of Executions' which gives details of the crime and the hangman (not Pierrepoint as we at first thought but Robert Baxter). The little boy did find the body but there is no mention of his sister. The couple had frequent visits to Wroxham in Norfolk(where the Juby's originated) to visit her brother, George Juby. From what you say I was right and the children went to live in Pershore with the paternal grandparents. The house at 12 Bartle Avenue, East Ham, London (where the murder took place) is still there - we found it on Google Earth but I suspect the present owners know nothing of the crime! It would be interesting to work out what relationship Edward Charles and Eunice's children/grandchildren are to myself! Thanks for the info so far.

cabbyray

Default Palfrey

Hi Glenys and Janet

Just a bit more information regarding Eunice (my Grandmother) and Edward. They were adopted by a neighbour who lived near Mary May juby in Bartle avenue by the name of Stevens. I also found out recently that there was a half sister by a bigamous marriage committed by Edwin palfrey

Ray

Janet M

Hi Ray and Glenys
    Several years ago I came across a family tree with an Edwin Palfrey married to a Ruth Mary Reed in 1916 in White Roothing Essex. They had a daughter called Esme Alice Palfrey born on October 28 th 1917. As I had always thought of Edwin as Edward I didn't make any connection, but following from what Ray has revealed perhaps I was wrong ! Do these names mean anything to either of you?
    Kind regards
    Janet

cabbyray

Hi Janet
    Yes these are the names I have and it ties in with the conviction for bigamy in 1917, also the father of Esme Alice Palfrey is given as Edwin Palfrey and other information about Edwin ties up

Regards
    Ray

Glenys H

Hi both - the names don't mean anything to me but interesting to know the names from the other 'marriage'. Funny what comes up when you start digging.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234