Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes .....it is Edwards mother's name which is unclear Birdlip ..thank you.

It has been a long day and I am just confusing the issue so will keep right out of it from now on.

Call me the village idiot tonight..but at least I found Edward junior with his grandparents. One mark out of ten.

Now I'm off .....before I do any more damage.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Spot on...... that is exactly what I was trying to say. I thought I had found their first born son living with the Sutherland grandparents.
    My feeling is that he was living with them whilst the rest of the family was in India.
    Possibly Edward Senior died in India therefore difficult to trace. I have never had any luck in India!!

I am not too sure what you don't understand about the mother.
    This what I meant .... I did not obviously look back at the original thread properly for which mother's name was unclear. I thought I had found it in Barbara but then realized it was James' mother's name which was unclear not Margaret's mother.

If my posts are that difficult to understand it is time I left it to the wide awake UK folk and toddled off to bed.
    No, it's just me being a bit thick this morning. I did say my brain wasn't in gear! (Shades of the other morning when I spent about five minutes looking at a question someone had asked me, and I just couldn't get started on the answer!)

I've checked the British Library India stuff that I can find online, but no death for Edward that I can see, nor birth/baptism for Agnes.
    Pam

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post

Now I'm off .....before I do any more damage.
    Oh dear.
    Me too. Night night sleep tight

Famous for offering help & advice

[/B]

he married Margaret Sutherland in Leith, Midlothian in 7 jan1859 I have copy of certificate states his parents are both dead mothers name unclear.

I wonder if you are able to post an image of this certificate? (sorry I'm not sure exactly how that is done) If you can someone may be able to decipher it.

Sheena O'Fee

Dargie, Pam, and Birdlip thanks very much for your input and suggestions
    unfortunately if Edwards dob is May 1837, he is just a bit too early for a birth certificate, you'll need to look at Parish records for his baptism.

I had a quick look on IGI and couldn't see a likely record for Edward, but I did see this;

Joseph JONES b 25 Sep 1835, ch 13 Mar 1836 St Thomas, Dudley Worcester. Parents John JONES and Levinia. [Batch C040145]

A possibility for one of his brothers?
    That could be a possibility although the name Levinia is unusual it doesn't bear a resemblance to the name of Edwards mothers name on his Marriage cert....it looks more like Doyannah,or suzannah or Royannah
    but Joseph looks good as does his father.

In 1861a similar family is in Scotland.
    I went in with Edward the child's name and it came up but the reason you probably couldn't find Edward senior is because it was spelt EAWARD.
    They live at 8 Annfield Street ,North Leith in Scotland.
    The Sottish census will not show the original but it does list Edward as with Bombardier Artillery.
    Not sure how to list the scottish reference numbers ( ED 15 Page 3 LIne 6) but if you look under Eaward born 1824 (which is completely different from 1937 so maybe the wrong man)in England you will find the family.
    Eliza is listed as born England also. But why is she called Eliza and not Margaret? Did she have a second name? Or is Eliza a second wife?
    Edward the baby is born Leith 1860 which matches your record.
    A coincidence? ]
    i Think a coincidence? his wife most definitely Margaret Sutherland.

There is an Edward JONES born 1861 North Leith living with grandparents and Uncle.
    James Sunderland 78 Market Gardner born Orkney
    Barbara Sunderland 67 born Orkney
    Charles 22 labourer in ship building yard born Leith
    Edward 20 Van Man born Leith, Edinburgh
    Living at 5 Bathfield North Leith, Edinburgh

It looks as if the family were living in India in 1871 judging by birth places of younger children.
    This is DEFINITELY Edwards inlaws and yes your probably right about them being abroad

confused with some of the other info but I'll study it for a while and see if I get it....lol

thanks again everyone

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    [/B]

he married Margaret Sutherland in Leith, Midlothian in 7 jan1859 I have copy of certificate states his parents are both dead mothers name unclear.

I wonder if you are able to post an image of this certificate? (sorry I'm not sure exactly how that is done) If you can someone may be able to decipher it.
    this is the part with Edwards parents on it

v.wells

Rosannah Jones nee Quinlan

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sheena,
    Just thinking about the Margaret/Eliza conundrum between the marriage certificate and the 1861 census entry found, have you got the baptism reocrd for Edward born 1860?
    Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena O'Fee View Post
    the name of Edwards mothers name on his Marriage cert....it looks more like Doyannah,or suzannah or Royannah
    I read it at Doyannah. Perhaps it should be Diana (depending on the accent of the informant!).

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Rosannah Jones nee Quinlan
    thats a very goodpossible Vanessa I had guessed Quinlan I'll see if I can come up with anything with Rosannah
    thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast