Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Sheena,
    Just thinking about the Margaret/Eliza conundrum between the marriage certificate and the 1861 census entry found, have you got the baptism reocrd for Edward born 1860?
    Pam
    yes Pam I have Edward born 1860 birth record and Margaret Jones ms Sutherland is his mother

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I read it at Doyannah. Perhaps it should be Diana (depending on the accent of the informant!).
    I agree with Kerrywood. The writing in everything else is very clear so to me it would appear to definately read DOYANNAH.

I have checked as many gaelic and scottish names as I can find and none remotely similar to Doyannah.
    The accent would surely make it Diana?

The scottish names did have a lot of feminine versions of male names such as Malcolmina etc (poor girl who got that one!) but I don't think that influences this name unless it was Royanna.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena O'Fee View Post
    yes Pam I have Edward born 1860 birth record and Margaret Jones ms Sutherland is his mother
    Do you have the birth records of the other children ? Do they all list Margaret as the mother also ?

bibliojunkie

Initially I read the name as Suzanna (with the long 'z') but then thought it could be Georgannah, a variation of Georgiana.

Ali

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Sheena
    In the unlikely event of Edward not being dead in 1885 - there is a death in Edinburgh in 1901 of an Edward b 1835.

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Sheena
    In the unlikely event of Edward not being dead in 1885 - there is a death in Edinburgh in 1901 of an Edward b 1835.

already tried that one grisel not the Edward I've been searching for I'm afraid, wrong year of birth and two totally different parents and wife.

good suggestion though thanks its appreciated

sofee

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Do you have the birth records of the other children ? Do they all list Margaret as the mother also ?

yes now I have all the records of all the children and they have Margaret Sutherland as their mother and Edward Jones as father

sofee

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have Edward Jones on an old army book it has the following;
    Out of interest, can you please tell us what the "old army book" is?

Royal Artillery enlisted 7th may 1858 age 21yrs 4days which makes his DOB 3rd May 1837, Dudley Wolverhampton

his father was John Jones siblings William and Joseph no mention of mother.

I can't find him on 1851 census or any other census

he married Margaret Sutherland in Leith, Midlothian in 7 jan1859 I have copy of certificate states his parents are both dead mothers name unclear.
    they had 8 children all born in different places as it looks like he moved around with the army etc
    Since it now seems that the maiden name of Edward's mother was QUINLAN, perhaps Edward's father was also a serving soldier, stationed in Ireland when he married?

Have you tried searching the Army Births index for Edward? These records begin before the start of civil registration in 1837.

Of course there may be more than one candidate with the name Edward JONES born in the right time-frame, but it might be worth a look? Perhaps Edward was born in Ireland and brought up in Dudley?

The army birth indices can be accessed on Find My Past and other pay sites.

Sheena O'Fee

Out of interest, can you please tell us what the "old army book" is
    Kerrywood the old army book was the small handbook that all soldiers had gave personal details etc etc someone I met on another genealogy site has a relation who has it but its so old and in bad condition it was hard to read, thats where initially we got Edwards age and enlisted date and childrens names and his brothers names.
    Edwards fathers occupation on Marriage records is ' Farm Bailiff ' I have looked for Edward on Army records too just incase ....but nothing

Name well known on Brit-Gen

the old army book was the small handbook that all soldiers had gave personal details etc etc . . . thats where initially we got Edwards age and enlisted date and childrens names and his brothers names
    Thanks for explaining that. You're lucky to have such a document!

Have you tried tracing any other service record for Edward? He must surely have received a pension, unless he died while serving.

Does the birth certificate for the youngest child, Agnes, born 1874 in Bangalore offer any clues? Does it state his rank?

If Edward was discharged to pension between 1873 and 1882, his papers should appear on Findmypast within the next few months. Alternatively, you could have someone look for them at Kew. They might hold some clues which would enable you to progress further.

Maybe one of our military experts can offer more advice here?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast