HelenVSmith

Default Quested anywhere anytime

Hi

I have been collecting Questeds for quite a few years now and have amassed quite a bit of information.

I have registered the name with the Guild of One Name Studies.

Quested is a name that until the mid-1860s was found primarily in Kent with some in London and the suurounding areas. There were always the occasional person who due to specific occupation (such as coastguard) or perhaps employment (such as a coachman, maid etc) who can be found outside Kent.

Earliest mention so far is 1372. It is probable that the name originated in Europe and there is some discussion as to whetehr it may be from France (de Quested)or possibly some Sacandinavian country (Questad).

I am always happy to receive any snippet that people may care to share and am always delighted if I am able to help anyone with their Quested research.

Regards
    Helen

Famous for offering help & advice

My wife came across the marriage of Samuel QUESTED and Elizabeth GALLEHAWK in Milton-next-Sittingbourne on 22 Mar 1784. Her interest is in the Gallehawk family - there's more about them here, with the Quested marriage nearly at the bottom of the page. Hope this is of interest.

Arthur