Thread: John Miller

stephenjlynch

Default John Miller

I've actually just posted this in the Brick Walls thread, so mods please feel free to delete this or the other...
    Hi Everyone,

I wonder if you could help me with my latest brick wall ?

There was a family myth that there was an West African princess in the family line somewhere (we're all white).

Amazingly, I've gone back to my G-G-G-G-Grandfather, John Miller - who is the son of a freed slave from Sierra Leone.

He came to the UK and married. I've managed to find his naval records from 1st Jan 1873 (his service number is 70163). But - he was in the navy before then (I think) as he's down on his marriage cert in 1865 as being a seaman, plus he had 3 good conduct badges for his first posting in 1873.

I have two questions and would be so grateful if anyone could help:-

1 - How can I find his previous records for the navy?
    2 - In the records I've found, there's a Ship's Books List No for each placing. Where could I find these and what are they?

Thanks very much and all the best!

Cheers,
    Stephen

neil1821

How long ago did you find what you have so far?
    It used to be that service records from 1873 were online, but now those from 1853 onwards are online.
    So you might want to start by redownloading if it's been a while. If he was in before 1873 it should be there.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...T.hp=Registers of Seamen's Services

stephenjlynch

Hi neil1821,

I've rechecked the National Archives and still no joy.

Interesting I've found him in the census returns for 1871 on HMS Racoon and for 1861 on HMS Bloodhound, which has proven that he was in the Navy before 1873...

If I was to go directly to the archives in person, do you have any idea what I'd need to know? Is there a way to find out his service number for the previous placings? Would it be the same as his later number?

Thanks very much for your help!

Stephen

neil1821

Why bother going in person? Drop them an email and ask why it's not appearing in the online search results.
    No reason I can see why it shouldn't bar some glitch in the system.

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

TNA has the ships musters for Bloodhound under ref ADM 38/7660, for the period 1860 June 19-1863 Sept 15, and Racoon under ADM 38/8814 for the period 1870 May 7-1873 July 3.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I suspect that the reason you cannot find a service record for him prior to 1873, is that continuous service was optional from 1853, only becoming compulsory in 1873. It therefore means a man could opt to sign on to a ship only for the duration of its commission.

Your best bet is to do as Karen suggests, and consult either, or both, of the known ships description books. This should provide a full list of all his previous ships, and the dates when he served on them, and in addition it will provide some personal details, such as where born, a physical description and marital status.

Martin

stephenjlynch

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I've arranged for copies of both the Bloodhound and Racoon musters, for John Miller - so hopefully that will help clear up a few mysteries ).

Cheers

Stephen