norfolk white

Question Lomas family - Oldham

Does anyone have any info on the Lomas family who in 1913 lived at 8, Ramsden Street?

George Lomas was killed in October 1913, knocked down by a train.
    The remaining family were:

Agnes nee Jackson, wife, born 1868 in Nether Kellet
    Lily, born about 1895, married Arthur Redfern at the Northmoor Primative Methodist Church, Ward Street, Oldham, on 9th June 1918 according to marriage certificate. it also states that at time of wedding Lily was residing at 6, Ramsden Street, Oldham whilst Arthur was residing at 6, Elmo Road, kingston Upon Thames - Lily was a Cotton Ring Spinner and aged 23 years whilst Arthur was an Iron Turner, Munitions, and aged 25 years.
    Edith, born between October to December 1901, in Oldham
    James, born 1904, in Oldham
    Sarah Ellen, born 1905, in Oldham
    Hilda, born 1910, in Oldham
    There was also Nellie who was the child of Agnes' sister Mary and her husband James Barrow. Nellie was born in Agnes and George's home at 10 St Peter's Street, Oldham on 21st December 1898 according to her Birth Certificate, and is recorded as being Agnes' and George's neice in the 1901 Census and living with them. Whilst in the 1911 Census it states that Nellie was Agnes and George's daugher.

I would be most greatfull if anyone can shed any light on any of the above, e.g. marriages, deaths, burials, children, etc.

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Uuumm!
    I have been having a root around. I don't think Agnes & George actually married. I have found a marriage of Agnes Jackson to a possible John Harding and a birth of a possible daughter Lily Harding. Then a death of a John Harding.

Marriages Sep 1894
    Cliffe Eliza Jane Oldham 8d 1129
    Harding John Oldham 8d 1129
    Jackson Agnes Oldham 8d 1129

Maddock John Oldham 8d 1129

Births Jun 1896
    Harding Lily Manchester 8d 282

Deaths Dec 1896
    Harding John 25 Oldham 8d 466

There is a marriage of a George Lomas at a similar time. I have looked for deaths of a Mary Lomas & an Annie Lomas...both are possible. But of course, he need not have married at all.

Marriages Mar 1895
    Heywood Mary Oldham 8d 717
    Howe Annie Oldham 8d 717
    Lomas George Oldham 8d 717
    Tetlow Frank Oldham 8d 717

Deaths Jun 1897
    Lomas Annie 32 Bolton 8c 251

Deaths Jun 1899
    Lomas Mary Jane 32 Oldham 8d 498

Is it possible that Agnes Harding nee Jackson then got together with George Lomas and he brought her daughter up as his own?? There is certainly a gap between her birth and the other children. ( There is no birth of a Lily Lomas at the correct time)

As for Nellie, I would suggest that something happened to her parents (death? - have you checked?) and she was 'adopted' in the loosest sense of the word, by her aunt & uncle.

Sue

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by sue2white View Post
    Uuumm!
    I have been having a root around. I don't think Agnes & George actually married. I have found a marriage of Agnes Jackson to a possible John Harding and a birth of a possible daughter Lily Harding. Then a death of a John Harding.

Marriages Sep 1894
    Cliffe Eliza Jane Oldham 8d 1129
    Harding John Oldham 8d 1129
    Jackson Agnes Oldham 8d 1129

Maddock John Oldham 8d 1129
    Same marriage on Lancashire BMD
    Lancashire Marriage indexes for the year 1894
    Surname: JACKSON
    Forename(s) Agnes
    Surname: MADDOCK
    Forename(s) John
    Church/register office: Oldham Register Office or Registrar Attended
    Registers at: Oldham
    Reference: RM/77/49

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

So it looks as though she married the other guy! Uuuummmm????
    Re-think!

Sue

norfolk white

Sue,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I have been waiting for two Death Certificates to arrive - both were the wrong Agnes Lomas (one was for one from Oldham and the other Heywood). I too am thinking that Agnes and george never married as for Agnes being married previously to John Harding or John Maddock and having Lily I don't know - I guess I'm going to have to order these marriage certificates.

As for Nellie Barrow (Lomas), I have not been able to find Mary or James Barrow's records on either the 1901 or 1911 Census or the 1891 Census and they married on 6 March 1886 they are a puzzle.

Thanks for your help and advice. All the best,

Ivor

Adnepos_Iacobi

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the Lomas family who in 1913 lived at 8, Ramsden Street?

...George Lomas was killed in October 1913, knocked down by a train... I would be most greatfull if anyone can shed any light on any of the above, e.g. marriages, deaths, burials, children, etc...
    I think George's parents were Samuel and Sarah LOMAS (from census returns). Samuel christened 1 May 1831 at Prestbury, parents George and Elizabeth LOMAS of Bollington... There's an interesting marriage at Prestbury in 1829.

Wiganexile

LancsBMD includes the wife's previous surnames by marking the entry with an asterisk - might save time. You might also find more information on LancsOPC (online parish clerk).