JohnE

Default WinREG - suggestion

First I would like to say what an excellent, user-friendly piece of software WinREG is. It makes data entry so much easier than it might be. Many thanks to the developer.

Second, could I suggest a minor enhancement that would, I think, make things even easier. This is the addition of a keystroke shortcut to bring the contents of the last record in the file into the current input fields, ie equivalent to clicking on the last record in the file. I use this action for every record input, followed by editing the data, so my shoulder is beginning to complain about the repetitive movement from keyboard to mouse! A keyboard shortcut to edit the last record, equivalent to double-clicking on the last record, would also be helpful.

Would it be possible to introduce these suggestions?

John

Mike Fry

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    First I would like to say what an excellent, user-friendly piece of software WinREG is. It makes data entry so much easier than it might be. Many thanks to the developer.
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Second, could I suggest a minor enhancement that would, I think, make things even easier. This is the addition of a keystroke shortcut to bring the contents of the last record in the file into the current input fields, ie equivalent to clicking on the last record in the file. I use this action for every record input, followed by editing the data, so my shoulder is beginning to complain about the repetitive movement from keyboard to mouse! A keyboard shortcut to edit the last record, equivalent to double-clicking on the last record, would also be helpful.
    In the normal course of events, I would say that this suggestion could be quite useful. But... since I am currently working on WinREG/3, which will look and operate more like a spreadsheet than WinREG/2 currently does, is this sort of change still relevant?

The new program will allow full editing capabilities. No longer will you be restricted to the single set of input fields. Any visible field will be editable. Also, there is a navigation bar that allows movement to any record in the file, coupled with single-click movement to the start or end of the file.

Other 'enhancements'? Oh yes, being able to 'hide' fields that aren't relevant to the file. Being able to re-order the columns to more closely fit with the order of the data that you've got in the register.

As I don't really want to develop WinREG/2 much further, all new development is being targeted towards WinREG/3. I will have to think your suggestions through a bit more and see if and how they impact on what I've been working on.

Looking at the bigger picture, I note that there is no official mechanism for reporting bugs and requesting enhancements. OK! There's the 'Email A Bug Report' option dangling off of the Help drop-down menu. That sends an email to me and to Eric Dickens. There is even an option on the same menu that directs people to here. How many of you use it? Obviously, some of you do, otherwise I wouldn't have to periodically check in to see what's being said.

So, how do 'We' want to handle this? I'd like to promote some discussion on all aspects of the program. How it operates. Its' strengths and weaknesses. What still needs fixing and how it can be improved. Any takers?

JohnE

Mike

I am certainly happy to wait for WinREG/3 and see how I get on with that. If you can cover the point I made, if it is still relevant, in its development, so much the better.

In general, I always like as much as possible to be available through keystrokes, particularly shortcuts, to reduce the amount of mousing necessary - I think the mouse is to be avoided as much as possible.

As far as the reporting bugs and the suggestion of enhancements is concerned, options under the Help menu seem the logical place. Perhaps just modify the current 'Report a bug' to cover suggested enhancements as well.

For broader discussion may be this forum is the place, but I think you would need to draw it to the attention of users, possibly via county co-ordinators or through a pop-up or similar that appears on WinREG/2. However it would probably be necessary for you to kick off the discussion with an outline of how you are developing things and your thoughts on areas on which you feel user input would be helpful.

John