Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi Colin

The way I read it there should have been two payments to your father, firstly in 1977 and secondly some time after your grandfathers sister died in 1983 assuming the house was sold.

I'm not sure of Canadian law but would your father have been required to declare the inheritance to the Canadian authorities for taxation purposes? If so, would there be any documentation to verify this.

Andy
    This is what I am in the process of checking out.

When my dad retired in 1983, the firm he had worked for several had deposited money on an annual basis into a 'share-purchase ' plan. Employees didn't contribute - so it was treated as a bonus and was taxable as income when sold, as they had to be when he retired.

Dad wasn't aged 65 until the February of 1984, so he was able to off-set the tax implication by putting those funds into his R.R.S.P. As I'm not sure of the actual ammounts, his accountant at the time is now deceased and his tax return for 1983 year has long-since disappeared, that is something else I need to investigate.

Colin Rowledge

Hi All.
    Thank you to all who have contributed their 2cents worth to this thread. With what I have subsequently found out [with assistance from this forum and elsewhere], that 2cents is a heck of a lot more than I would get for each dollar of the amount that was outstanding as of 1983.

No further action on this thread will change that, but folks are welcome to express comments acceptable to Bo and the mod's [sounds like a 50's rock group, doesn't it?]

My faith in the forum and its members is unchanged. You guys have been super.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

For those folks who are interested - I am at the end of the road on this topic.

The end result is that I spent 400GBP only to discover that there is no 'paper trail' to find the missing inheritance.

Colin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345