Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    welshroots2

Default John Nicholas Fishguard

Looking for John Nicholas Abt !873 Fishguard

He married Margaret Bevan abt 1880 Llantrissant and they had a daughter Margaret Emily 1901 Llantrissant

The Marriage cert says Johns father was David a farmer .

Margaret died 1902 and John married Maria Phelps I can see all the family on 1911 census except Margaret Emily .I cant find a John in Fisguard with a father David Any ideas ?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by welshroots2 View Post

He married Margaret Bevan abt 1880 Llantrissant and they had a daughter Margaret Emily 1901 Llantrissant

Margaret died 1902 and John married Maria Phelps I can see all the family on 1911 census except Margaret Emily .I cant find a John in Fisguard with a father David Any ideas ?
    Sorry, I am just a little confused. How old was John when he married Margaret?

Lizzy9

Hi Mutley ,

I've been pondering over this myself. I think Margaret was born circa 1880, and this looks like the couple's marriage.

June 1990, Pontypridd, 11a 773

Margaret Ann Bevan and John Nicholas.

Lizzy9

If John was definitely born in Fishguard which was in the Haverfordwest registration district, then this looks like a probable birth entry, it's the only one I can find in Haverfordwest 1872 - 1874.

John Nicholas, 4th qrt 1873, Haverfordwest, 11a 859. If you buy his birth certificate it will name his mother's first and maiden surname.

Orielbenfro

Default David and son John Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by welshroots2 View Post

Welshroots2
    Do you not think it is only fair that you explain the ongoing difficulties you have been having with this research, so that others are not duplicating research elsewhere that has gone before.
    Perhaps also its best to explain that Pembs Register Office have been unable to find a David Nicholas as father of a child born as John Nicholas, it could save others so much angst.
    I can understand a new and fresh approach might get results, but that must be balanced by consideration for others time and efforts given so freely ~ or am I wrong ??
    It does not offer any shread of real comfort, but some of us are in the same boat, after over 30 years of research my maternal grandfather mrd in 1912 and thats all I know.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Hi Mutley ,

I've been pondering over this myself. I think Margaret was born circa 1880, and this looks like the couple's marriage.

June 1990, Pontypridd, 11a 773

Margaret Ann Bevan and John Nicholas.
    So sorry, the year should read 1900

Mutley

I do think, after looking at this for some time, that there are a few things, not quite right.
    Like Lizzy, I found the marriage but I wonder why Welshroots says about for the date when the certificate should show it exactly.
    Also the age for John given, does it tie with the census and his other marriage certificate?
    Do both certificates show David, a farmer, as the father?
    Is David deceased on either certificate or still living?
    Are the witnesses other family members?

Orielbenfro is quite right. If you want help you do need to tell us all you know.

Have you looked at the family in the census with a John James Thomas Nicholas born in Fishguard (Haverfordwest) in 1869 with a mother named Martha and eliminated him from your research.

It would also be useful to know where you are in the world.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

How about this?
    (records held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

1881 census: RG11; Piece 5424; Folio 59; Page 4
    Timothy FRANCIS (head)
    Maria FRANCIS (wife) b.1838
    4 children, then:-
    Charles NICHOLAS (father-in-law) age 74
    John NICHOLAS (stepson) b. 1870, Llanychare

Timothy FRANCIS and Maria NICHOLAS are listed on the same page on FreeBMD - married in Dec Quarter 1876, Haverfordwest (11a 1363)

If you follow Maria back through the census, in 1861 and 1871 she was a servant to a David HARRIES, farmer.

1861 census ref: RG09; Piece 4170; Folio 58; Page 4

1871 census ref: RG10; Piece 5535; Folio 67; Page 5

Maybe John was registered with the surname Harries? There are 10 that I can see on FreeBMD between June 1870 and March 1873 - all in Haverfordwest.

Or if not, has welshroots2 asked for a search of a birth of John Nicholas, stating the mother's name is Maria? (if that's possible)

Jellylegs

Mutley

I am not sure if this fellow is connected to Jellylegs find. I have not followed it through yet but it is an odd one.

John Nicholas born about 1870 in Llanychaer, the son of Ann. Ann is the unmarried daughter of Charles, a labourer and his ?unmarried? wife Lydia age 68. Charles is 63 in the 1871 Census in Fishguard. Next door is James Nicholas and his wife Hannah (married). James is a Farmer and most on the page are Farm Labourers, Servants or Farmers.

Who then is the father of John, with mother Ann and grandfather Charles?
    RG10/5535/68/8
    TNA Copyright records

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I do think, after looking at this for some time, that there are a few things, not quite right.
    Like Lizzy, I found the marriage but I wonder why Welshroots says about for the date when the certificate should show it exactly.
    According to information the requester has posted on another forum, John's marriage certificate (1900) states he was aged 20, and the 1901 census has him recorded as aged 28. Also, Welshroots2, intimates on the other forum that she would dearly like to find Margaret Emily in 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast