Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mango1212

Default Pickards of Sileby

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone has any information on the Pickard family of Sileby. My 4x Gt Grandparents lived there. I have no address for them. The only info i have is that they were called William and Mary Pickard (nee Farquhar). She was actually born in Scotland. They had three of a family, Mary b.1792 James b1802, and William b.1806(he is my lineage). I think William senior died 12th Jan 1806 just before young William was born, and that maybe his widow Mary went on to marry a John Landon from Sileby. This is only guess work.

Iwould love to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of them.

Anne

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi mary
    Just browsing & noticed your message.
    Did you get births from familysearch? And what other information do you have. I did find William b 1806 on the 1851 census. Do you have any more info on his family. Tell me what you have and I'll see what I can find.

mango1212

Default Pickards of Sileby

Hi,

William Pickard born 1806 in Sileby was my 3x Gt Grandfather. I have his marraige certificate and his death certificate. He died 1888 in Longside Aberdeenshire. What other info do you have on him or his family?. I am really interested in his parents. I have never been able to find any marraige or death for them. I would love to know what you info you have

Anne

mango1212

Hi I just re-read your message. I found out his birth from our local archives library. I did'nt realise that he was born in Sileby, as his wife Mary, was born in Strichen in Aberdeenshire. I am in Aberdeenshire, so it was fairly easy to find out his movements after he was married. Let me know if there is anything else that you want. He also had a brother James also born in Sileby, who came up to Aberdeenshire as well. There was a sister Mary, born 1792 and died shortly after. I would love to know what happened to his mother Mary (Farquhar).

Anne

Hi Anne

I was attracted to your message because I lived in Aberdeenshire/ Aberdeen until 2004 . I was born in Leicester so hence the connection. I know Scottish records can be so much more informative then the English ones. I assume you have all the scottish ones including Mary Farquhar's birth?
    I don't have any connection to the Pickards and only found William in 1851 on the censuses already in Longside.
    You'll have found the births of William, James & Mary on familysearch I assume.

I'll see if I can't find something in Sileby before 1851. Do you know when William returned to Aberdeenshire. From the 1851 census all his & Elisabeth's children were born in Scotland. There is also an Elisabeth Farquhar aged 94 aunt with William in 1851. What do you kinow about her?

I wonder if Mary (mother) died around the time of her daughter's birth. It seems strange that both boys returned to Scotland without their mother.

Any other info would be helpful

Hi again
    Why don't I pay attention???? I see Mary was born 1792 !
    Looked on family search and found Mary b Strichen parents William Pickard & Isabel Gall. Is this your Mary? If so I guess Elisabeth (1851 census) would be her unmarried sister? However Mary was born 1762 so was in her 40s when William was born. I'll look for a death then!

Hi Anne

Found a William Pickard aged 80 Northgate St Leicester FWK and his wife Mary 80 on 1841 census.
    William was born in the county, Mary not. So I wonder if this could be them?
    I did find a death for William 1841 in Leicester ( no age recorded at this time) . The only William in Leicester 1841-1865
    The only death I could find for Mary was Mary Ann d Leicester 1862 (again no age) which would make her 100 yrs old!
    However I have searched for people in the past starting at age 60 for a death and have more than once had to go to the 100!
    Of course there is no guarantee that this is them, so it's a toss up whether you get the certificates.

Might Mary have returned toi her family in Scotland after William's death if indeed this is them?

Default pickards

Sorry . Latest!
    I have found a marriage for Mary Pickard (W) & John Landon 8 August 1819. There is a copy of the certificate on Anc.com 8 Aug 1819 Sileby (which is all it says)
    So back to the dtawing board.
    Shows how easy it is to get the wrong records. So which is Mary do you think?

Am off to look for a death for William betw 1806-1819.
    A death for Mary after 1819.
    1841 census for John & Mary.
    The choices are endless!!!!!!!

mango1212

Hi,

The info that i have is that Mary nee Farquhar was born Strichen, somehow she ended up in Sileby and married William Pickard (soldier). Her two boys William and James both came back up to Longside, and William married in 1825 in Longside Aberdeenshire. James married and lived here in Peterhead.

I did see a Mary Pickard married a John Landon and did wonder if she had re-married. I think William (snr) died shortly before his son Williams birth in 1806. I think i got that info on freereg.

Its so frustrating because of all the Williams and Marys that had the surname Pickard!. In the 1851 census the Elizabeth Farquhar you mentioned was Marys sister. She married a George Walker and are buried at Longside cemetery.

Mary Farquhar is proving difficult to find, but would love to know anything about her. That would be the icing on the cake.

Anne

Hi Anne

No further info at present, but I did look up William & James in Peterhead...lots of information there though it isn't possible to see the whole census on Anc.com. Whats Scotland GRO playing at...we need permission to see the real thing!!!!

There is a death for a John Landon in 1858 but that maybe could be another John. No death for Mary Landon that I can see.
    Are you sure William died before 1806. And that it's your Mary who married in 1819?

I'll keep on looking!

Funnily enough my ggrandad's brother born Great Yarmouth married in Peterhead in 1911 and settled in the Borders. The connection there of course was the fishing. The marriage certficate was very informative about both sets of parents.
    What does it say on William and Elisabeth's marriage certificate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast