RobinC

Default Chieveley & Brightwalton

I have ancestors named Witherell from these two places, and am wondering if there are any parish records available online?

I have seen that the records are available from Parish Chest but I'm short on funds right now.

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi
    You could try the IGI free to look at on Family Search
    Sandy

RobinC

Having just had a quick look at Parish Chest, I can see that the areas I'm looking at are not covered by the parish records available.

Are there any plans to expand the records that Parish Chest have in stock?

Nicolina

you could try: https://www.berkshirebmd.org.uk/
    sorry but I don't know what Parishes are covered.

RobinC

Thanks Nicolina,

I had a look at that site which is useful but my queries are prior to 1837 as I have a Thomas Witherell who was born in 1822 and have possibly identified his parents as Thomas & Martha but need access to parish registers to confirm if this is true or not.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    my queries are prior to 1837 as I have a Thomas Witherell who was born in 1822 and have possibly identified his parents as Thomas & Martha but need access to parish registers to confirm if this is true or not.
    If there are no transcripts of the parishes you want, you have the usual research options.

(1) LDS (the Mormon Church) have filmed the parish registers for both Chieveley and (partially) Brightwalton. You can order copies of the films into any local LDS Family History Centre and view them for yourself. Check the film numbers here and here. Check the location of your nearest LDS Family History Centre here.

(2) Visit the Berkshire Record Office in Reading to view the originals or, if you can't get there, use their excellent Research Service.

Nicolina

have you tried FreeReg? If they haven't got the relevant Parishes transcribed yet, it's always worthwhile checking back