Thread: Westbury Family

Sue Simonich

Cool Westbury Family

Greetings One and All:

I am looking for information on a medieval family in Somerset. This would be the Westbury family. Looking for John Westbury who married Alice Carent, daughter of William Carent. There is very little on the Internet about this man.

Thanks to anyone who can help on this.

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

There are several references to John Westbury, "the younger" and "the older" early 15C within the "Close Rolls, Henry V", some Somerset, on british-history.ac.uk
    However unless you have a subscription you may not be able to get to the details.
    Someone may correct me on this, but as these rolls mainly record transactions (eg property) they don't necessarily tell you much about family connections, but serve more to tell you 'where' and 'when' the people were, but you can strike it lucky with vital information.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 01-03-2010 at 8:36 AM. Reason: direct link removed - it has ads and so counts as commercial
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Geoffers

Are you able to be a little more specific? - approximate date, a century even? - Any idea of the status of this family?

You might try searching Access to Archives

try Somerset Record Office online catalogue.

Try a search of TNA's catalogue in the word or phrase field enter - westbury AND somerset, restrict the year range and search.

Anything in Ancient Petitions? (the writing is tricky unless you are familiar with the style)

Sue Simonich

Hi Michaelpipe and Goeffers:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I truly appreciate both of you Michaelpipe, I tried to join the British-History site, but was unable to make my type of credit card work. I guess I am going to have to send a cheque. Geoffers, you are always johnny-on-the-spot with help. I sure do appreciate all your suggestions. The information I am seeking would be for a John Westbury who married Alice Carent, and therefore, the time frame would be early 15th century, probably between 1420 and 1450. Alice Carent Westbury was his widow, and she married John Newburgh Esq. of E. Lulworth, co. Dorset. Alice Carent daughter of William Carent, originated in Somerset, and she brought to her marriage with John Newburgh, Berkeley, Somerset. I am finding that so many of these families form a nucleus of inter-related gentry. It is amazing how much is available on the Internet these days. I am working on a book, focusing on the wills of the Newburghs. So far I have collected sixty-seven, dated from 1484 down to about 1650.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Simonich
    John Westbury who married Alice Carent.........probably between 1420 and 1450. Alice Carent Westbury was his widow, and she married John Newburgh Esq. of E. Lulworth, co. Dorset.............I am finding that so many of these families form a nucleus of inter-related gentry.
    In the light of that, a couple of other suggestions to try;

You might try the 'College or Arms'

Inquistions Post Mortem

Sue Simonich

Here I am back again after many months/years. I have been working on the Newburgh and Westbury family again, as I believe they do a cross-over via aliasing. Looking for other people who have the name Westbury in their genealogies, especially those who come from the 15th century forward from father to son in the West Country. We are also looking for the Newburgh family. It seems that there are no modern Newburghs who are posting on the genealogy sites. I'm sure there must be some in the UK where I would like to make contact. Looking for men who might help on a DNA study.