Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default 24 Steeplestone Close, Edmonton, N18

The captioned address was a residence for at least 25 years of a relative of mine. He may have bought the place prior to 1932 and he was still there in 1958.

I have been unable to find a death for this particular relative, so I am trying to find future residents [after 1958] that could give a possible indication as to the death of the owner.

I presume that Title/Deeds would provide such information, but being in Canada, where and how do I find this info.?

Cheers
    Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Colin,

I have found two references to 24 Steeplestone Close in the London Gazette:

Death of Alfred Digby Fanning of that address on 17 Dec 1957:

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/41328/pages/1488

Death of Ellen Eva Fanning of that address on 23 Mar 1968:

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/44658/pages/9202

Are these names relevant to your research?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Hi Colin,

I have found two references to 24 Steeplestone Close in the London Gazette:

Death of Alfred Digby Fanning of that address on 17 Dec 1957:

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/41328/pages/1488

Death of Ellen Eva Fanning of that address on 23 Mar 1968:

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/44658/pages/9202

Are these names relevant to your research?
    Hi Adele
    Yes they are and are 2 of the children of the folks I mentioned in my thread about death at Twyford Lodge in 1936. Ellen Eva and Alfred Digby were sister & brother.

Alfred Digby was a very secretive person, who never divulged as to who his employers were, never married and spent many periods of his life away from 'family connections'.

The information you provided about his "death" December 17, 1957 may be a "plant" as I have evidence from Cape Town, South Africa, that he was granted a Temporary Immigration Permit. He originally left England on board the Caprtown Castle on November 14. 1957. The permit was granted due to a "Need for Medical attention and Hospitalization". He left South Africa on the same ship, December 16, 1957 and arrived in England December 27, 1857. This is supported by copies of documents I've obtained.

His sister, Ellen Eva, I know absolutely nothing about after 1911 census. However, if you read my thread about a family in Penge at 16 Palace Square just prior to W.W.1 she was there along with the 3 Electrical Engineers.

Makes for an interesting family doesn't it?

Colin

Hi Colin,

I've just had a look at the image of the incoming passenger list for Albert Fanning on the Capetown Castle arriving Dec 27, 1957. His typewritten name is crossed through with the handwritten notation " Died at Sea"

Perhaps another forum member can assist with the register on which his death would have been recorded.
    Last edited by AdeleE; 27-02-2010 at 2:59 AM. Reason: added more

Procat

FMP has this recorded in the GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1903 to 1965):

Fanning, Alfred D, Age 60, Ship CAPETOWN CASTLE, Year 1958, Page 7

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Interesting - note the name.

FMP has this recorded in the GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1903 to 1965):

Fanning, Alfred D, Age 60, Ship CAPETOWN CASTLE, Year 1958, Page 7
    Hi Doug,

When you say "note the name", is it because I typed Albert Fanning and his name is Alfred Fanning? If so, that would be because I typed Albert when I should have typed Alfred.

Procat

Hi Doug,

When you say "note the name", is it because I typed Albert Fanning and his name is Alfred Fanning? If so, that would be because I typed Albert when I should have typed Alfred.
    Yes. And then when I realised what had happened I edited my post - we obviously crossed.

Well, I was sorry to put this fellow "to bed". I was looking for a good puzzle.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Doug,

Hi Elaine and Doug.

Thank you so much for finding this info on FMP. My sunscription only covers Marine Deaths to 1903 and his is recorded in another Index which I don't have access to. This is pretty conclusive as to his death and the listing in the London Gazette certainly confirms this. The arrival on December 27, 1857 was obviously his remains and personal effects that Ellen Eva claimed upon docking and clearing whatever protocols were in place when a UK resident died at sea.

I would really like to know what the cause of death was!! Presumably, it was something contracted in South Afica during his visit, but until we can locate a death certificate or an Autopsy Report or even a copy of the ship's Medical Officer, I guess we'll never know.

Once again, my thanks for putting this chap to his final rest.

Cheers
    Colin

Procat

Hi Colin,

You can order the death certificate from the GRO using the information I found. This page may be of interest.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast