Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I now have received a copy of the Conveyance between the Church and the 2 surviving sisters of the original tenant. It was a very interesting document, but unfortunately, I cannot, due to my limited abilities with teckie stuff, upload a copy.

The nuts and bolts appear to be as follows:
    1] The Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England [1] provided a 999 year lease from 25 December 1933 for a rent of X amount per annum.
    2] A firm by the name of Chequers Development Limited [2] would appear to be the developers of the site and presumably built the residences on Steeplestone Close.
    3] A lease was arranged for a Alfred Digby Fanning [3] to commence as of 10 December 1934.

Colin
    One further item - missed when submitting:

4] Transfer to the 2 surviving sisters on 16 October 1958. This was the 1st registration of the property with the Land Registry.

Colin Rowledge

Further to my posts #40 & 41, I have again, contacted the C.o.E and they have answered every question I asked about the property. It would appear that records are certainly available and that the 'paid researcher' I hired a while back was just interested in my money and took me for a sucker.

Given their answers, I feel I am at a dead end and will just have to awit deeds, etc. from the Land Registry.

Here follows the answers:
    1] The events up to 10 December 1934 are self-explanatory. Maybe they are, but as I am not familiar with how leasehold properties were handled in the 1930's, i had concluded that the land was leased for an annual rent, a residence was built and Alfred Digby paid the land rent to the Church and had a mortgage for the house. We know that the firm mentioned Chequers Development Limited were involved in the transaction, but in what capacity, the Church has no knowledge of. I have a thread about this firm but it is early days yet!
    (Moderator's Note - If you are interested in the 'firm' click the link)

2] After Alfred Digby took possession on 10 December 1934 and up to and including his death on 17 December 1957, the Church has no information on or about him. This seems to imply that they had limited or minimal interest in what was going on during this period of time with regard to the occupancy.

3] There is nothing in their files regarding Ellen Eva and Margaret Jane prior to the Conveyance documents of 16 October 1958

4] They don't know for sure why the property was not registered prior to the Conveyance.

5] Here is their quote re the Conveyance - "The Conveyance dated 16 October 1958 SOLD the property to Margaret and Ellen for 130.00GBP. Therefore we do not have further information on what happened to the property after that date."

Given all of the above, it would appear that Alfred Digby owned the residence and had a mortgage, When he died, the 2 sisters inherited his entire estate - I have his will - which included any property he owned. Margaret and Ellen, through their representative -Jaques & Co., arranged to have the land on which the residence stood, transferred and registered to them and that is what the Conveyance is all about.

Am I correct and that is as far as I can go with this?

Colin
    Last edited by Mutley; 22-08-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Added a link

judyg

Surely it would have been the lease and not the actual property that was sold?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by judyg View Post
    Surely it would have been the lease and not the actual property that was sold?
    Since the Church has indicated that they have no further interest - and indicated that it was the Property rather than the Lease, I honestly don't know.

Bear in mind it was a large tract of land - being a terraced house - and Alfred Digby had paid rent for the land since 1934 - maybe the sum indicated was 'fair market value' based upon past payments?

Even the Church can on occasion be generous.

Colin

judyg

Even the Church can on occasion be generous.

Colin
    I think I will join the Church of England !!!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Bear in mind it was a large tract of land - being a terraced house - and Alfred Digby had paid rent for the land since 1934 - maybe the sum indicated was 'fair market value' based upon past payments?

Colin
    Missed out a word - it should read NOT a large tract etc.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by judyg View Post
    I think I will join the Church of England !!!
    I'm only going on the information provided to me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345