Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Time to tie up a few losses ends on Alfred Digby Fanning and his parents/siblings as they relate to the title of this thread.

1] Occupancy would appear to have started c. 1932-1933 and ended c. 1975-1976 when the last 2 siblings moved to Weymouth, Dorset.

2] 4 deaths during this period of +/- 43 years have factored with reference to this residence:
    a] Ellen Fanning - mother - died there of Stomach Cancer on July 2, 1935. As her health deteriorated due to this condition, she and her husband, moved from the family home [60 Franklyn Road, Willesden] to this address to be closer to the 3 unmarried siblings who lived there and could provide her care.

b] After her death and burial Alfred Digby Fanning - father - moved back to 60 Franklyn Road. Shorly before his death, he moved into Twyford Lodge, Willesden and died of Hemiplegia and Cerebral Thrombosis on May 5, 1936.

After the deaths of both parents, the 3 unmarried siblings continued to live together.

c] The next death involved Alfred Digby Fanning [known as 'Dig'] - the eldest son. His stated 'occupation' was Engineer. He travelled extensively throughout the world during his lifetime. His last excursion was in November 1957 when, afflicted with Cancer of the Brain, he went to to the Cape in South Africa. In early December 1957, an extension of stay permit was granted as his condition worsened. On December 16, 1957 he left South Afica and died on December 17 at sea. His remains arrived in England on December 27, 1957 and were claimed by his sister - Ellen Eva Fanning.

d] The final death here was of Ellen Eva - the eldest sister - on May 27, 1968. She also succumbed to Cancer.

After the death of Ellen Eva, the youngest sister - Margaret Jane - atill unmarried lived alone in the residence until being joined by her widowed brother in 1973-1974 and continued residency until moving to Weymouth.

My interest relates to the ownership and history of the house during the 43 years of the Fanning occupancy

Can anyone assist me?

judyg

Hi Colin,

Have you tried contacting the Local History Group for the Enfield Council? They may hold old assessment records for the area. Here in South Australia you can trace the ownership of a house at the Lands Title office. I would assume there would be something similar in England.

Cheers
    Judyg

Colin Rowledge

Does any one remember Frankie Vaughn [hope I've spelted it right] and his song about "The Green Door"? Given what I have found out over the years of research - "5 will get you 10" - that place had a bloomin' Green Door.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Time for me to get serious and hopefully my request for information will provide the information for me to determine my next step or steps.

Steeplestone Close was a newly constructed street of terraced houses built in late 1933 or early 1934 and was ready for occupancy by the time the 1935 Electoral Rolls were compiled. My family consisting of 3 unmarried siblings, were the 1st occupants of #24 and remained in residence there for close to 40 years. Steeplestone Close runs off of what was/is Pasteur Road.

There were several streets of houses built in and around SteeplestoneClose in this period and were all terraced houses and were referred to as Peter Dean style terraced houses. My 1st questions relate to the style of house. Who was Peter Dean? and why is it so desirble today? I cannot find anything on this person on Google and although Real Estate agents are referring to the style in their adverts, it appears they do not know who Peter Dean was.

Can anyone shed light on this person?

Colin

pennydog

Colin,

Just a guess but Peter Dean could be the name of the original builder of the Terrace. It is common for the builder's name to continue to be associated with the houses he built. Think Taylor Woodrow, Barratts etc. My own home is a Nash - a builder who built a great many house pre and post WW2. There were three types A B or C, and are still refered to as a Nash A etc. As for desirability, older well constructed houses are always in demand, plus there will be an element of Estate Agent glorification, he does want to sell the property.

Colin Rowledge

At this moment I am not convinced that these properties were so much built by Peter Dean. The listings indicate they were Peter Dean style, which could mean that the style inspired by Peter Dean, and copied by another builder under commission of a 3rd party to be built on behalf of that 3rd party. These constructions took place in the 1930's and today appear to be very desirable.

I am curious if there is any way to find out who was responsible for the actual building of these streets of houses?

Mutley

Would not planning permission and building regulations etc. be required?
    Quote from the National Archives
    Edmonton Urban District Council. Plans, Buildings, Town Hall, Baths and Stores Committee; Minutes A/139 14 May 1929 to 9 September 1930

These documents are held at Enfield Local History Unit
    Maybe not in that particular document but it is possible they have others more relevant.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post

Maybe not in that particular document but it is possible they have others more relevant.
    Right now, I have lots of questions Enfield Local History Unit.

Just wish I lived a bit closer to the source.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

As this is a topic that Ihave never even thought about in the past, I am at a loss as to what may be held in their files. One item that does fascinate me though, is that, although my family moved in late 1934 or early1935, shortly after completion, the properties themselves were not registered until many years after - in the case of #24 - it was August 1958.

As I said, I really have no idea of what to ask them to look for.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    As this is a topic that I have never even thought about in the past, I am at a loss as to what may be held in their files. One item that does fascinate me though, is that, although my family moved in late 1934 or early1935, shortly after completion, the properties themselves were not registered until many years after - in the case of #24 - it was October 1958.

As I said, I really have no idea of what to ask them to look for.

Colin
    As I noted above, I really was at a loss as to how to approach the Wales Office of the Land Registry, which was where the property was 1st registered. With assistance from forum members either by email or by private message, I was able to formulate a question on this topic and sent it off on August 2, 2012.

Today, I received a reply. Here are the results of their search:
    Following the completion of an appication for first registration the original deeds are returned to the lodging solicitor.Any relevant information relating to the property is is noted on the register of the property.

From the limited information held on file for the property, form DL, which lists all the documents listed at first registration shows a small number of deeds relating to the Fanning family, however the only deed retained by the Land Registry is a Conveyance dated 16 October 1958 made between [1] The Church Commissioners of England and [2] Margaret Jane Fanning and Ellen Eva Fanning.

It then explains the process of ordering and obtaining copies of the documents.

Margaret Jane and Ellen Eva were the sisters of the original 1st occupant. He died 17 December 1957. I intend to order copies of all records held by this office, however the process has to be followed by 'snail-mail' rather than on-line.

From reading tha above, my interpetation is that all documents relating to deeds prior to first registration were returned to the lodging solicitor who was acting on behalf of the Church Commissioners of England.

2 questions come to mind:
    1] How do I find out who the lodging solicitor was?
    and
    2] What is the significance, if any, of the Conveyance between the Church Commissioners for England and the 3 sisters of the deceased original occupant?

Colin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast