Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broome family

potter

Default Broome family

Thanks for the really warm welcome. You couldn't have been nicer. I have a big question in piecing together my father's past, He said that he and his brother spent time in an orphanage and that his brother was taken out before he was. When and where did this happen? How long did each of them spend there? He did say that the orphanage was sponsored by an american actress? Well I am pretty sure that he was born in 1922, October 18 and that his name was Ernest Leonard Broome, much more sure that his younger brother was born George Edward Broome. His childhood was hard, and short and then he died in the Palestinian Conflict. He is listed as having been born in Paddington, but maybe Islington or somewhere else in East London would figure in. My grandmother was a great one to move about. Sorry if this is too big a searh querry.

MarkJ

Hi Potter,

As this is ideal for creating a new thread, I have moved this post from the Introduce Yourself forum to Institutions.

I presume from your comments that you don't know the Orphanage name or exact location

This one could be a pretty big puzzle I think, but I have seen the B-G members solve such complex ones in the past - so fingers crossed!

Mark

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Potter, just to begin, if any Family Member may still be living, those particulars should perhaps be relayed using the private message system.

I see the births of your Father on Freebmd in Paddington 1922..1a-85 + 1924 1a-74 both with Mothers name of Leapman.

In 1922 the marriage is registered of Alfred Broome to Lena M.Leapman Mar 22 Paddington 1a-84
    This regstration for Leapman has been copied incorretly from the list using the district & numbers or the entry beneath it. Easily visible if you want to look.

A Lena Minnie Leapmans' birth was registered in islington Dec. 1901 5b-384
    You may have all of this already, we'll see what else bobs up.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pennydog

The 1911 census for the Leapman family is interesting RG14PN978 RG78PN33 RD10 SD7 ED9 SN231 (crown copyright / TNA)

Ernest Leapman age 32 Jeweller born St Georges Camberwell married 10 years
    Ettie wife age 31 born Islington
    Lena (transcribed as Sena) age 9
    John age 7
    Teddy age 5
    Charlett (sic) age 3
    Edith age 2
    Moss age 9 months
    Carilie Bonziger mother widow age 72 born Germany
    Bessie Bevan age 16 general servant domestic
    Flora Stuble widow age 38 nurse domestic
    Grace Warwick age 19 housemaid domestic
    address 65 Highbury New Park - this house had 16 rooms

Hope this helps

potter

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes one should be careful as to what one puts out on the internet about others. My grandmother, father and uncle have all passed away and I am sure that many of the others spoken of did help Lena but she, herself, was in reality a very difficult person. There are probabley not too many people who are alive and remember her or would argue this point. I have thought a lot about replying to your post so that is why the delay. Sorry. Any information is appreciated as there is a great deal of secrecy in our family. thanks again Potter.

potter

I guess that no one could help me with this. I just want to find out some details of what my families childhoods were like. Are there lists somewhere of ophanage residents that can be accessed?

Famous for offering help & advice

There were many Barnardo's orphanages in England and although they no longer have homes they do run a family history service. They charge £15 for a search. They have a web site. Barnardo was not an actress but it is possible that your father's orphanage was taken over by them.
    I don't know if they would be also able to point you in the direction of other orphanages in the London area but it might be worth contacting them..

Famous for offering help & advice

This may have no relevance but there was an Actors Orphanage apparently founded by a Kitty Carson. No idea who she was. Today it is a charity called The Actors Charitable Trust (they have a website)

potter

Arrow Orphanage for children of actors

thanks! The orphanage site was very interesting. I also found a letter posted by someone who had been at the orphanage at about the same time as my dad. Very odd though, why would he be in an actors orphanage? I know that he left when he turned 14 so he would have missed qualifying for the scholarship which is maybe what he referred to later in life. Of course there would be the war in 4 years so that would have changed everything anyhow. I'll keep searching this thread though and request some records. But thanks greatly for both comments. You are amazing. potter.

potter

Thanks for all your help. Now I have a question about certificates that I would purchase. Now that I have traced down what I believe is a second family born to Alfred Broome, born 1899, Islington. I have the birth record, The census of 1901 ( showing his mother, Constance Leapman), his marriage to Lena Leapman in 1922. Also there is what is perhaps his death certificate which gives his date of birth again as 1899, Also probably I would want to get the marriage license of what I believe to be his second marriage. Thanks so much for all your help in rebuilding what was a great falling out between my father and grandfather, both now long passed. Take care your help has been so excellente` in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast