Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RobinC

Thank you Sue,

That would explain why he was listed as a farm labourer.

As stated above he wasn't sent to Canada by Miss Macpherson, like his siblings were, so the question is which organisation arranged his transportation?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Is that "A. Ward of...." or "a ward of...."?
    If it's the former than I have not come across anyone who I can link to the family with that name.
    Your pardon Robin, am not seeing things very well lately, shall stop looking at stuff I can't see.
    what I saw was in reference to his two younger children James & Ida Rosina as NOK with their guardians - the Fulham Board at 39 Fulham Palace Road London.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Couldn't resist a last look in UK 1911 census, didn't find Thomas jnr but all of his sibs line up at 9 Parsons Green Fulham. Hennikeer House used as a receiving home for Fulham guardian cchildren. How sad that ALL were marked as 'birthplace unknown!" No Ida but may have been listed as Ada aged 5.
    signed by Miss J.A,Marlow.Julia alice.

Cover page has Mrs E.Broadway- Jubilee training home for Girls.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mary Anne

RobinC

Sue is right - domestics and farm labourers were wanted in Canada at the time, and most Home Children were described as going to Canada to serve in these positions. Indeed, the families they were settled with were chosen on this basis. Even though the iconic Canadian book, "Anne of Green Gables," was ostensibly about a Canadian-born child, it did, quite accurately, describe the situations that the Home Children found themselves in when placed with Canadian families.

If the children were housed in the Fulham Union (Workhouse), then they may have been sent by another organization that operated in London (other than Annie MacPherson). What you have to remember is that there were many organizations for juvenile emigration that were operating in England during this period. Most of them no longer exist, and, sadly, their records no longer exist. SOMETIMES the passenger lists that are available to us now (and upon which the main Home Children database is largely based) did indicate which organization sent the children -- but as often as not, they did not.

You may wish to got to the Library and Archives Canada website for "Passenger Lists 1865-1965" and look up the ship Thomas came on, and the date he came, and have a look at the scanned pages to see if you can find his particular entry (unfortunately you can't just enter in his name). Then you can see what precisely was noted on the passenger list next to his name, although the person from BIFHSGO who corresponded with you could tell you -- and in fact has probably told you as much information as there is to be found. He is pretty much the main expert in Canada on these records. You may wish to write back to him to see if he can give you any further insight into what other organization may have sent Thomas, other than Annie MacPherson's.

Mary Anne

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    This may be one of yours Robin, click here concerning Alfred Witherell b. Fullham England 1899.
    Going back to this post, I have looked at Thomas's attestation on the same website and it has his occupation as farm labourer so I think he is the Thomas that travelled from Bristol to Quebec in 1912. Unfortunately it doesn't explain where he was in 1911.

A while back, I found Thomas's papers from WWI but can't seem to find it now, the reason I'm looking for it is because he asked for someone called Stanley to be notified if anything happened but I can't remember Stanley's surname.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    If the children were housed in the Fulham Union (Workhouse), then they may have been sent by another organization that operated in London (other than Annie MacPherson). What you have to remember is that there were many organizations for juvenile emigration that were operating in England during this period.
    Reviewing the thread briefly, I see you have had lots of valuable help and advice for searching the Canadian end.

But I can't see that anyone has suggested searching the records of the Fulham Board of Guardians? That would be the standard place to start, especially as some of the children have already been found in the Receiving Home (post #43).

The Fulham records are held at LMA (series FBG), and are plentiful. If you don't want to use the LMA's paid research service, you could go through them yourself easily enough on a visit.

RobinC

I've found some poor law records on Ancestry for Fulham but none of them cover the period I'm looking for:

Orders of removal
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1889-1903
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1892-1894
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1896-1897
    Settlement and Relief, 1845-1873

Register of children
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1899
    Schools and Children, 1885-1891
    Schools and Children, 1887-1893
    Schools and Children, 1899
    Schools and Children, 1902-1904
    Schools and Children, 1902-1905

Admissions and discharges
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1873-1877
    Fulham Palace Road Workhouse, 1890-1891

I'm wondering if the records I require aren't available any more.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I've found some poor law records on Ancestry for Fulham but none of them cover the period I'm looking for:
    I was aware of that. That's why I suggested you go and look at the records yourself.

I suggest you start with the Guardians' minute books. They're indexed, which will help speed up the search.

RobinC

I've found this record on the LMA site:

Title: Register of children emigrated
    Reference Code: FBG/117
    Parent Reference: FBG-9
    Site Location: London Metropolitan Archives

But there's a spanner in the works:

Access Restrictions: Not available for general access

RobinC

How do I access the paid research service?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast