Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    RobinC

Linking vaguely to this subject, would it be possible for someone to try to locate Thomas William Witherell (born Willesden, London, England on 20th July 1897) on the 1911 Canadian census as I believe he may have been out there due to his mother dying in 1910.

He doesn't appear to be on the 1911 UK census.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Robin, I had a look this morning but didn't find him.

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/

He may have been in a home in UK waiting for travel or just not listed in the year after his Mothers death as seems to have happened to many others.
    Maybe they were between areas in care. I thought I'd found him on electoral rolls but it turned out to be his Father.

How did you fare with BIFHSGO?
    Last edited by Waitabit; 09-02-2012 at 3:22 AM. Reason: MISSED A BIT
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mary Anne

RobinC

If I'm not mistaken, Procat found him (see post #6 in this thread):

"There is a Thomas Witherell, Age 14, Departed 26 June 1912 on the ROYAL EDWARD from Bristol bound for Quebec, Canada, Occupation farm Labourer"

So, this would mean he wasn't in Canada in 1911 for the census.

Mary Anne

I saw that Mary Anne, I wonder why the children left from different ends of UK? Perhaps to do with shipping avaiability & the home they were in.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

RobinC

I saw Procat's discovery of Thomas but the occupation of farm labourer threw me a bit as he was born in Willesden, Middlesex which is not far away from Bloomsbury or Marylebone (going by tube stations) so I'm not sure if there would have been many farms there 100 years ago.

It may well be, that as Waitabit pointed out, that he was missed off the census.

RobinC

I wrote to BIFHSGO and received several replies which were quite informative but I will post snippets which are relevant:

Alfred, Richard and Amelia came through the Fulham Union
    Thomas and Alfred, served in WW1. For Alfred, Amelia was the NOK, as Mrs. McGee in Lorne, Ontario
    Alfred Witherell aged 21, farmer, of Leamington, born England, Church of England, son of Thomas William Witherell and Amelia Stratford married Grace May Wall aged 18, spinster of Aylmer, Baptist, daughter of John Wall and Synthia Perry, on 3 April 1920 at Aylmer, Elgin County, Ontario
    I checked the military files for Thomas and Alfred today, both were in the Canadian Army Medical Corps, Thomas spent all of his time in England while Alfred enlisted very late in WW1 and was sent to Siberia in 1919.

In Alfred's file was his death date - 16 June 1979 in Windsor, Ontario. I looked at the Windsor and Leamington newspapers but could find no obituary - of course he may have moved away, in 1923 he was living in Kincardine, Ontario.

In 1921 Thomas' address was given as 33 Talbot Grove, Notting Hill, London, W11. He sailed from Halifax on the SS Justicia 25 June 1917 and gave his father as his NOK: T.W. Witherell(Sapper) Royal Engineers with the British Navy.

He attested in Amherstburg, Ontario 4 May 1917. On enlistment it says his right index finger had been amputated at the lower joint. He said that if killed or wounded inform his friend Mr. Stanley Beacon of Leamington, Ontario.
    In 1923 Alfred's address was RR#2, Kincardine, Ontario. His NOK was his sister Amelia Witherell, RR#1 Lorne, Ontario, c/o Mrs. McGee. He enlisted 25 May 1918 at Windsor, Ontario, embarked in Vancouver on the SS Protesilaus 26 Dec. 1918 and arrived in Siberia 15 Jan. 1919, he worked at the Gomostoi Hospital, Vladivostok, embarked back to Canada on the SS Monteagle 21 April 1919
    And this is from Barnardos:

I can confirm that Thomas was not emigrated to Canada with Annie Macpherson. However, his siblings Amelia, Alfred and Richard were.

For more information on the entry on the National Archives for Tom Witherall going to Canada you will need to contact them at 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N3.

In 1921 Thomas' address was given as 33 Talbot Grove, Notting Hill, London, W11. He sailed from Halifax on the SS Justicia 25 June 1917 and gave his father as his NOK: T.W. Witherell(Sapper) Royal Engineers with the British Navy.
    In 1918/19 this address was the one I found, later proved to be that of the Father Tom William Witherell who joined up in 1915 aged 37 N O K? a ward of.....as he gave the 33 Talbot Grove address on his attestation.

In 1920 there was another Thomas William Wetherill living with Thomas william Wetherill & Mary Wetherill in grosvenor st. Tower Hamlets. All made things more difficult to find your laddie later.

He could also have been placed to train in farming techniques between 1910 & his leaving of UK. Bye, how hard things could be in times of duress.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

RobinC

Is that "A. Ward of...." or "a ward of...."?

If it's the former than I have not come across anyone who I can link to the family with that name.

Starting to feel at home

Hello Robin. Have you tried Families of British Home Children/ British Child Migrants. They have a forum on facebook, its very active, they have access to records. They are in touch with lots of relatives of people sent to canada. I am a Barnardo boy, My name was on a list to go to Canada in 1947, A sister i never knew existed contacted me then and changed the course of my life.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I saw Procat's discovery of Thomas but the occupation of farm labourer threw me a bit as he was born in Willesden, Middlesex which is not far away from Bloomsbury or Marylebone (going by tube stations) so I'm not sure if there would have been many farms there 100 years ago.

It may well be, that as Waitabit pointed out, that he was missed off the census.
    Robin

I think you will find most children sent to Canada were sent as Farm labourers..... it was the farmers who needed the help and it didn't matter where they were brought up.

Sue

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast