Aussie1947

Default John and Elizabeth Young of Greenknow Gordon

Hi,
    My GGF Adam Young (30) married a Catherine Hayes (23) from Limerick Ireland in 1862 in Victoria Australia in 1864 and the certificate stated that he was born in Berwickshire to John Young and Elizabeth Currie.

I have been trying to find out anything about John & Elizabeth and their family.

I believe that I have the 1841 census information for John & Elizabeth and family at Greenknow where there is an Adam 11. There is an 1851 census with an Elizabeth with family at Greenknow, John is missing.

I believe that I have Elizabeth Young's (nee currie) death in 1871 from Scotlandspeople and maybe John's burial in 1847. There is also some LDS details which maybe my John and Elizabeth as well.

If anyone can provide me with any other details or family history on John Young & Elizabeth (nee Currie/Curry) Young it would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Pilot asearch has the marriage of a John YOUNG & Elizabeth CURRY on 29th No. 1822 at Kirknewton, Northumberland. from the collecton of Scotland Marriages. batch no.M00093-1.

Google map shows 5 Greenknows so don't know if this is useful to you or not.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Ozgenie

Hi Gerry,

Following on from Waitabit's post -

On the Census for 1841 it says that John YOUNG was born England c 1795. There is a birth - John YOUNG born 19 February 1795 son of Andrew YOUNG and Mary CLARK at Kirknewton Northumberland Batch P00093-1 Source Film No. 252591.

One of the children living with Elizabeth was William C YOUNG born c 1828. There is a birth - William Curry YOUNG born 12 December 1827 Kirknewton Northumberland to John and Elizabeth - same Batch and File NO.

The other children on the Census - Andrew born c 1827 Ann born c 1824 were born England. The others Adam born c 1830, John born c 1833, Mary born c 1841 and Robert Thomson YOUNG born c 1840 were all born Gordon Berwickshire. So it appears that the family moved from Northumberland to Berwickshire between 1827 and 1830.

Check the LDS Pilot site - there are births from 1791 with parents Andrew YOUNG and Mary CLARK all at Kirknewton for Andrew, Jane, James, David, Mary, Adam and possibly Margaret in 1809 Batch No. P00093-1 Source File 252591.

Regards
    Sue

Aussie1947

Thanks very much waitabit and sue,

Your finds are fantastic and they look very good which will expand my family tree, I think also that you have the moving date from Northumberland to Berwickshire just about spot on Sue. My Adam Young would have been the first child born in Berwickshire after the move.

I have been onto Scotlands people and found Elizabeth Young's (nee Currie) death registration in 1871 and John Young's burial details as well.

One of the children who was born at Kirknewton is on the LDS site but I can't find Adam Young as yet who was my GGGF and born around 1830 in Berwickshire and came out to Victoria before 1862 (I haven't found the ship as yet either)

I'll now concentrate on Elizabeth Curry/Currie for her birth, the 1822 marriage to John Young is on the LDS site.

Thanks again you have helped me greatly, I hope I have as much success with my Isle of Skye families.

Gerry

Ozgenie

Hi Gerry,

Was Adam married when he arrived? If so, what was his wife's name and any children? Have sent you a private message regarding something else. Hope you get it as I am new to this!!!

Regards
    Sue

Aussie1947

Sue,

No Adam was single when he arrived and from his marriage certificate he married Catherine Hayes at Scarsdale Victoria on April 22nd 1862. He was single, 30 a miner and born at Berwickshire Scotland with mother Elizabeth Currie and father John.

I haven't found his vessel as yet but I thought it may have been the Euphrates in 1856 into Melbourne where an Adam Young 28 was on board.

Gerry

Aussie1947

Sue,

I meant to add Adam's wife was Catherine Hayes 21 spinster from County Limerick Ireland.

There are 24 Catherine Hayes coming into Victoria but I was thinking maybe (only because of her age) she may have been on the Dirigo in March 1859.

Gerry

Ozgenie

Hi Gerry,

I checked the shipping record for the Euphrates 1856 and Adam YOUNG aged 28 was with Emma YOUNG aged 23 both from Middlesex.

I am not able to access the Manifest for Catherine HAYES on the Dirigio 1859. What appears to be her death in 1870 states she was born Tipperary. I have checked the available arrivals for a Catherine HAYES but none that I could find were from Limerick.

Regards
    Sue

Aussie1947

Sue,

Thanks for the information, looks like the Euphrates is out for Adam.

Tipperary is interesting because it was Limerick on the marriage certificate, I haven't purchased the death Certificate for Catherine as yet but I know that she died very young when Adam junior was only 6 years old.

Catherine and Hayes are two very popular names in Ireland and sadly I don't think I'll ever find any history on her family from the information that I have so far but I'll keep trying, it's the same with a Michael Neary who came to NSW around 1860 from Roscommon.

Gerry