Phil Knight

Default Knight & Perkins

I'm trying to track further back, and "sideways" with my Leicester ancestors.

Working backwards from my Dad, I can find:
    • his father, Frank (born 1880)
    • Frank's father William Knight (born circa 1852)
    • Frank's wife, Elizabeth Perkins (1882)
    • Elizabeth's dad, Nathaniel Charles Perkins [NCP] (1859)
    • NCP's wife, Mary Ann Nortin (1861).
    I also have some tentative links to NCP's father and siblings, and an unclear relationship between Frank Knight and Louisa Knight, who witnessed his wedding, but who I cannot otherwise find.
    Is anyone else researching these families?

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default Frank KNIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Knight
    I'm trying to track further back, and "sideways" with my Leicester ancestors.

Working backwards from my Dad, I can find:
    • his father, Frank (born 1880)
    • Frank's father William Knight (born circa 1852)
    • Frank's wife, Elizabeth Perkins (1882)
    • Elizabeth's dad, Nathaniel Charles Perkins [NCP] (1859)
    • NCP's wife, Mary Ann Nortin (1861).
    I also have some tentative links to NCP's father and siblings, and an unclear relationship between Frank Knight and Louisa Knight, who witnessed his wedding, but who I cannot otherwise find.
    Is anyone else researching these families?
    Phil, I'm not researching these families so I can't help much but I've noted something interesting...

I can see your Frank KNIGHT on the 1881 census with his parents William and Sarah -- as I'm sure you have found. But I don't see the family on the 1891 census. Have you found them? There is a Frank KNIGHT SMITH, 10 years old, with his mother Sarah SMITH, 39. She's listed as head of the household, single with an occupation of Silk Winder. There are two younger children in the household, Leon and Louisa SMITH, 8 and 1, respectively.

Phil Knight

Thumbs up

Trish,
    thanks for the informaiton. I haven't got the 1891 census, so didn't know about the gap. Interestingly (well, ok maybe!) the family isn't on the 1901 census either, but nor is the entire street on which they lived just a few years later when Frank married. Missed out at the time, or missed on transcription I suppose.
    I suppose it's possible Louisa Smith could be the later louisa Knight, as if WIlliam Knight died and Sarah remarried (or just had children by) a Mr Smith, Louisa could be Frank's half sister. Even so, if would be bad luck to say the least if Sarah was then wodowed again by 1891. It would also be quite a coincidence if Louisa later married a Knight ('though maybe not, as there do seem to be a lot of Knights around Leicester).
    Thanks again, and I'l keep looking.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Knight
    ...I suppose it's possible Louisa Smith could be the later louisa Knight, as if WIlliam Knight died and Sarah remarried (or just had children by) a Mr Smith, Louisa could be Frank's half sister. Even so, if would be bad luck to say the least if Sarah was then wodowed again by 1891. It would also be quite a coincidence if Louisa later married a Knight ('though maybe not, as there do seem to be a lot of Knights around Leicester).
    Thanks again, and I'l keep looking.
    Or maybe Louisa later adopted KNIGHT as her surname but that's a stretch... Please update your fellow forum members if you get any answers to this mystery, Phil. I'm now quite curious as to what really happened to your KNIGHTs!

Trish

phil knight

Default Knight & Perkins update

Further to my old post, I'm now satisfied that my granddad Frank Knight was indeed the chap recorded in 1882 as the recently born Frank Knight, and in 1891 as Frank Knight Smith, and that Leon and Louisa Smith also in 1891 are at least his half siblings. I've found what happened later on to Leon Smith, but lose Louisa entirely after 1901.
    Moving onto Frank's children, when he was again using the surname Knight, can anyone help with any information about possible offspring to his son, also Frank Knight (middle name seems to be Nathaniel), who married Gladys Suffolk in circa 1940? Seem to have Frank junior's death in 1982 in Leicester - does anyone know of an online resource to find Leicester obituaries / memorial notices which might give me family members' names?
    Any help gratefully received.
    Phil Knight

Tuggybear

Default Knight and Perkins

Hi Phil,
    I've just discovered your thread whilst trying to research the Knight/Newton/Bates and Perkins families I belong to. Not sure if they are the same ones as not got too far on either Knight or Perkins at the moment as I am writing up what i have of one line of Newtons but would be happy to share any info I come across if there is a link between us.
    Cheers,
    June.
    p.s. My knights are decended from irish travellers from what my grandfather told me so there could be some difficulty in tracing his family back.

phil knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tuggybear View Post
    Hi Phil,
    I've just discovered your thread whilst trying to research the Knight/Newton/Bates and Perkins families I belong to. Not sure if they are the same ones as not got too far on either Knight or Perkins at the moment as I am writing up what i have of one line of Newtons but would be happy to share any info I come across if there is a link between us.
    Cheers,
    June.
    p.s. My knights are decended from irish travellers from what my grandfather told me so there could be some difficulty in tracing his family back.
    Hiya June,
    The shared family names may just be a coincidence, and I certainly haven't found any Newton or Bates connections yet. However, nothing is impossible, and I'll happily share information if you end up tracking any of your family to the Leicester Knight / Perkins families. I would say that I can't be definitely trace William Knight's parents / birth, but he did state in 1881 (the only census on which I've found him for certain) that he was born in Leicester in about 1851. There seem to be relevant FreeBMD birth & death (1887) records, but I must admit I haven't yet requested these.
    Phil