Starting to feel at home

Default Look up request-overseas marriage

Anyone out there have access to the GRO index for marriages in Africa 1895-1965?

I'm looking for a reference for the marriage of Richard Trudgett (East African police,Kenya)-his wife was Ethel May but I don't know her maiden name. From passenger lists I know they were married by 1927 so the marriage could have taken place any year between 1901-1927.

I know she travelled alone to Africa from England to marry Richard who was my grandmothers brother. I met her in the early 70s when she was a widow, living back in England with her sister in Sussex-but I was only a young thing then (aaah!) so I don't recall much. (Or is that because I'm an old thing now?)

Can anyone come up with a reference so I can order a certificate ?

Fingers crossed

Auburn

Reputation beyond repute

The indexes are available on a pay as you go basis in Findmypast and probably other online sources. They are also available free of charge at various record offices listed on the GRO web site.

I haven't checked the name but I believe that as the marriage was in a British colony and wasn't military, you won't find it indexed there.

You can read the advice in the FMP knowledge base without signing in.

Starting to feel at home

Thankyou for your advice Peter-it does sound like I might have hit the proverbial brick wall with this one. I'll keep trying as I'd love to trace her family.

Many thanks
    Auburn

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by auburn View Post
    I met her in the early 70s when she was a widow, living back in England with her sister in Sussex-but I was only a young thing then (aaah!) so I don't recall much. (Or is that because I'm an old thing now?)
    When you can't find the crucial certificate for your primary person, try following someone else in the family.

First, here's Ethel May Trudgett's 1973 estate notice in the London Gazette:
    https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...58/pages/10118
    Note the address: 56 Queen Street, Littlehampton, Sussex

Now to hopefully find the sister. By searching that address in the London Gazette, I found this estate notice a year later:
    https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/46382/pages/9821
    Elsie Edith Maud Thornton, died at the same address in 1974 and the same bank was the trustee.
    Was this her sister and was she a spinster or a widow?

Marriage registration indexed entry:

Name: Elsie E M Russell
    Spouse Surname: Thornton
    Reg district: Worthing, Sussex
    Volume Number: 2b
    Page Number: 694

Now back to the indexed death registrations for these two women:

Name: Ethel May Trudgett
    Birth Date: Jun 1885
    Death Reg Year: 1973
    Reg district: Worthing, Sussex
    Volume: 5h
    Page: 2165

Name: Elsie Edith M Thornton
    Birth Date: Jul 1889
    Death Year: 1974
    Reg District: Worthing, Sussex
    Volume: 18
    Page: 2130

Due to copyright, we are not allowed to do look-ups or provide census information on persons enumerated on the 1911 UK census, but do try to enter these women's potential names, Ethel May Russell and Elsie Edith Maud Russell, with the above referenced birth years.

Also, Ethel May Trudgett appears 5 times on Ancestry passenger lists incoming to the UK. On the 1927 passenger list that you mentioned, she and husband Richard give their proposed address in the UK as 19 E. Durrants, N. Havant, Hants.

A check of the 1901 census for a Russell family in Havant finds the two sisters, enumerated as May and Elsie, at the same 19 E. Durrants address with their parents Edward & Emma Russell and brother Harry. (RG13; Piece: 977; Folio: 77; Page: 26 - census Crown copyright in care of TNA)

Starting to feel at home

Adele-

I am quite overwhelmed by your genius! Thankyou so much for explaining how you got there-I will be able to put your methods to use in future. It is wonderful to put a name to the two old ladies I met that day ( it was in Littlehampton as you say)
    Their house was furnished in true Victorian style with chenille cloths over every piece of furniture.
    Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!
    vith best wishes
    Auburn