Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    v.wells

Default Annie Stuart or Annie M. Cox?

Annie Stuart b 5 Aug 1875, Offington, Broadwater, East Preston, Sussex .

I have her on the 1881 RG11/1115/8/7 census with parents Joseph and Anne Stuart with sisters Eda R 1871, Mabel M 1877, Alice C. 1878, and brother Albert H 1881.

On the 1891 RG 12/1131/45/2 census, at age 16, she is a housemaid in Chalfont Pk, Amersham, Buckinghamshire for a Frederick Penton family. There is a Frederick A. Cox, age 30, Butler from Liverpool, Lancs also employed in the house. Her family is still in Patching (father employed at Offington Lodge as gardener) except for Eda who is in Hove as a dressmaker.

In 1901 RG13/938/31/6 I have found Annie Stuart as a boarder, occ: Ironer/Washer at 51 Clarendon St. Hove. Eda lives at 36 Landsdowne St, Hove, as a dressmaker. The rest of the family is still in Patching. BUT I also found a Miss Stuart 1901 census RG13/932/83/21 about age 27 with NK written in all the fields. This Miss Stuart lived at 19 Sillwood also not far from Eda. I haven’t decided which one to go with.

1911 finds Eda still in Hove, dressmaker and Annie working for the Newton family as ladies maid at 43 Lowndes St, Kensington SW, Chelsea. The Widow Newton is also from Broadwater, Sussex so there is a possible connection for that employment.

In 1911 the rest of the family is at Howth Castle, Dublin. Mother dies in 1922 and they all return to UK sometime after that. I have found the deaths of Anne (mother)1922 Dublin, Joseph (father) 1933 Bridport, Dorset along with Eda 1953, Alice 1937. Albert died 1948 Reading and Percy, the last born died 1946 Portsmouth.

I could never determine a death for Annie Stuart but on looking at Percy Robert Stuart’s death cert, dated 18 October 1946, age 59 (this would be correct) I noticed the informant was A. M. Cox, sister of the deceased also living at the same address, 25 Knowsley Cres, Cosham, Portsmouth. So is this my Annie married to someone named Cox? I checked the BT directory for Cox at 25 Knowsley Cres and up pops John S. Cox. He must be who Annie married BUT I can’t seem to find a marriage in either the 1837-1915 or the 1916- 2005 index. I also can’t find a death registration for her (nothing definitive for him).

All the children were given middle names on b certs, except her. She had 3 sisters Florence Mary 1868-1877, Mabel Lily 1870-1875 and Mabel Mary 1877-1884, so the initial M could be for Mabel, Mary or Moor, her father’s middle name (where that comes from I don’t know as he was born plain Joseph and there are no Moor’s in the family).

Is Frederick A. Cox a red herring and just a coincidence? Or should I be researching him (I dread that) to find the link between him and John S. Cox? Is Annie Stuart, Annie M. Cox?

I would really appreciate any fresh eyes available.

Geoffers

So is this my Annie married to someone named Cox? I checked the BT directory for Cox at 25 Knowsley Cres and up pops John S. Cox. He must be who Annie married BUT I can’t seem to find a marriage in either the 1837-1915 or the 1916- 2005 index. I also can’t find a death registration for her (nothing definitive for him).
    A couple of passing thoughts Vanessa -

If no trace of a marriage in the GRO index, have you looked to see if there was an army marriage?

Although John COX is shown in the directory - and assuming it is Annie married into the family - could Annie and her husband be living with her in-laws, in other words was John S COX not her husband - but her husband's dad? - Does this affect any searches for a marriage?

v.wells

Geoffers - I hadn't checked FMP for overseas army marriages (0 credits), and I can't find anything definitive on army service records on ancestry. I thought (assuming) that since Percy died in a home occupied by A. M. Cox and that John S. Cox was listed at the same address, that A and J were married. It looks like John S. Cox was at Knowsley cres from 1939 thru 1949 and before that the closest fit I can find is in Weston-Super-Mare, Engineers Motors, Eclipse Garage. If I use her exact birth date in the death registry search box without a surname, it throws out too many with the name Ann(e/ie). The only Stuart/Cox marriage that comes up is Edwin John Stuart (my uncle) and Elsie Cox in 1943, in London. Hmmm....perhaps Elsie is another avenue to search. She is unfortunately a dead end, literally, as they never had children since he was killed 3 wks after they married.

As to your question that John S Cox could be father-in-law, I hadn't thought of that, is a possiblity, but still doesn't help in finding a suitable Cox/Stuart marriage.

pennydog

Vanessa - have looked at the FMP overseas marriages - nothing for a John S Cox, so you can cross that off of the list!
    Sue

v.wells

Thanks Sue

I have found a John Cox in 1891 in Chalfont St. Giles which is less than 2 miles up the road from Annie in Chalfont St. Peter. He is with parents George & Mary - ag labs. So.... now I am hunting for a possible matching marriage knowing I could be on the wrong trail!

The John S. Cox I found in BT directory in Weston Super Mare was married to Ellen - found in 1901 census. So that's off too! What an awful name to be searching - it's as bad as Smith, West, Walsh, and a host of others!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Sometimes I just try an address in the London Gazette to see what pops up. There is this estate notice for a Rose Wells at 25 Knowsley Crescent in 1963. Any relation?

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/43135/pages/8594

v.wells

You find the strangest things Adele! There isn't a death registration for a Rose Wells for 1963 or 1964, so I don't know who she is. Perhaps the widow of Harry Thomas Wells? I have a lone Harry Wells born 1912ish but born in Kent. Now I shall have to search him out.

I always forget about Gazettes online - I really must take memory pills

Perhaps it is just coincedence that a Wells should live at 25 Knowsley Cres where a Stuart may have lived? Really, really odd! Thanks heaps

And I have found a death registration for Harry Thomas Wells 1985 Portsmouth b 4 Apr 1912 - Huh, I wonder if he is mine......reallly odd, and getting odder by the moment!

v.wells

I am in danger of going in circles here! I have been going off on wild trails so far!

pennydog

In case you hadn't seen it the John Cox you found 1891 in Chalfont, is married by 1901 and gives his name as John Edward Cox and is living in Amersham (where I meet my sister for lunch every few months!), so he is not 'your' John Cox.
    I have had a look for a marriage Stuart/Cox but cannot find anything - even tried Cocks! (Years ago I got one of our clerical staff to type a letter to Mr. P. Cox - she wrote Mr Peacocks, so it could happen!!). I have tried Knowsley Crescent on the 1911, but it is not there. I think (for what it is worth that this address is the key to solving your mystery. Perhaps Cosham library would have Gazetteers showing Knowsley Crescent and the inhabitants or the electoral rolls, they might do a look up for you (google it, they do list local history).
    Keep us informed of how you get on.
    Sue

v.wells

I had found that much out Sue and am not even sure it is My Annie on the 1891 census - it seems a long way for a girl of 16 to go - I would have thought the parents would have kept her closer to home. There is another Annie Stuart b 1871 and she is one of mine but I've got her sorted out. So it is the 1891 that is confusing as I have found another Annie Stuart, servant but the age isn't right, it fits with the other one. Damn Stuart's are as bad (not really) as the Walsh's. I think that Annie may have married later in life - it seems to be reflective of the siblings. I've managed a bit of a break so will get back at it.

Thanks Sue

I bet Mr. Peacocks had a laugh over the letter he received

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast