Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    There is a birth for John Stockwell Cox June 1898 Portsea 2b500. 1901 census has John at 126 Albert Road with family (Charles E shopkeeper and wife Eva) RG13/989/123/22.
    Sue
    Based on the approximate years of birth, I have found potential death registrations for John S Cox's parents Eva Cox in 1939 and Charles E Cox in 1951, both in Portsmouth. Could Charles E Cox be a potential partner to Annie Stuart after the death of his wife Eva?

Pure conjecture of course, until some connection is found, possibly through the death certs.

pennydog

Adele - I do admire your lateral thinking - this has been driving me mad (hence I am still up after midnight!), you may well have made a connection. Charles is a shop owner (butchery and grocery), just a few streets away from Knowsley Crescent, so it is logical Percy knew the family, if only we knew if Annie ended up living with/near Percy (perhaps after her London employer died?).

v.wells

Well....Ada Mary Boby is b 1902 Hampshire so can't be the right gal. I thought I would try to see if A. M. Cox married after hubby's death which would put her n her 70's. Using Annie M. Cox there is a marriage in 1946 to Milton Slavkin, Portsmouth in 2Q so not right as she is Cox on Percy's death cert in the 4Q. Prior to that Annie M. Moffat married Leonard D. Cox 1941 in Thornbury, Gloucestershire. Now if Annie Stuart married a Moffat and forgot to use her maiden name on her subsequent marriages there might be something.

My eyes are tired, I am fed up and I think this is another one that belongs on the compost pile!

But why is Annie not showing up on the death registrations using 5 Aug 1875 as birth date Nothing is working for me today

Good effort ladies and friends

I have emailed a 4th cousin in NZ who knows Cosham well and is a Stuart, like moi. I have asked him to gather his brain cells and try and remember who, what , when, where and why - but as it is summer there, he is probably off on a trip.
    Last edited by v.wells; 20-02-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added last howl!

v.wells

Adele - I do admire your lateral thinking - this has been driving me mad (hence I am still up after midnight!), you may well have made a connection. Charles is a shop owner (butchery and grocery), just a few streets away from Knowsley Crescent, so it is logical Percy knew the family, if only we knew if Annie ended up living with/near Percy (perhaps after her London employer died?).
    Sue - How did you find he was a shop owner/butcher/grocer?

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Sue - How did you find he was a shop owner/butcher/grocer?
    I started with the 1901 census (RG13/989/123/22), and as FMP was up and running this morning tried 1911 (RG14/5552/RG78/PN252/RD90/SD2/ED31/SN4), still at Albert Road, and then back to 1891 the same. I have now checked Ada Mary Boby 1911 - daughter of Frederick b Ipswich 1857 and Mary B 1856 Wiltshire (they list 11 children born alive - 1 living - how sad!) - Fred and Mary are together on 1901 in Portsmouth with 20 yr old son Fred but anything prior to that Fred is on his own and Mary cannot be found (didn't look too hard).
    So what is the connection with John and Ada Mary Cox and your Percy Stuart? and why would A.M. Cox use the relationship sister? Have we lost sight of the fact that your Annie may have died before Percy.
    Do you know what happened to Widow Newton (could she have died and left Annie some money?) after 1911?
    Nothing so far adds up, no name connections, no place connections.
    Another thought - do you know if Percy ever married? - not many of these Stuarts did!
    Will ponder this all during the day (they sure hurt your head - Walshes and Wests come to mind!!)
    Sue
    ps - GB got a Gold last night, yipee

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here's a possible death registrationfor Annie Stuart/Cox:

Name: Annie Stuart
    Death Registration Year: 1963
    Age at death (estimated): 89
    Registration district: Portsmouth
    Volume: 6b
    Page: 687

pennydog

I have spent some of this afternoon going over all the incidental people in this sorry tale and have not found anything that helps us forward.
    The Boby family 1911 (got the 11 children wrong - must use my glasses!) - it was married 11 years 1 child 1live birth, so Fred & Mary married 1900 (cannot find any marriage!). Fred was married to Elizabeth Upson in Ipswich 1881, she dies in Ipswich 1899, but Fred was in London with son Fred 1901 (no sign of Mary). Nothing ties them to the Stuarts.

Elizabeth Louisa Newton - Knightsbridge 1911, where Annie works, was the wife of William S Newton 'General & Colonel'. Elizabeth is the daughter of Lady Elizabeth Steele of Hampshire, and although she consistantly gives Brighton as her place of birth from 1841 census she is living in London, so our thought that there could be some connection with Annies place of birth looks very unlikely. Coincidence I think.

The death Adele found looks very promising, but we are still no closer (perhap have eliminated some ideas) as to the real relationship of A M Cox and Percy Robert Stuart.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post

I had this down to order until I saw the A. M. Cox on the death cert. The marriage certs I ordered were for Percy R Stuart - one turned out to be right but is Percy Reginald (another one of mine) that is now sorted and the other was not correct in any way, so no Percy didn't marry. The family appears to be fairly religious as there is mention of it in a couple of Wills that have been sent to me for Eda and on the 1911 Ireland census, they belong to the CofI and E on Percy's military papers. (that's how I found the family in Ireland, the next of kin details). So I don't think that Annie would have lived common-law, but who knows!

There are 3 A. M Cox deaths: Ada Mary 1966 Whitechurch age 87, Ada Maud 1971 Portsmouth b 1895 and Ada Mary 1990 S.E. Hampshire b 1901. I think that maybe Annie Stuart death 1963 is in fact her (unless it is a married surname) - this I will have to backtrack and check.
    Is it possible that the person recording the information on Percy's death cert, wrongly assumed her name was Cox because she had lived with them for many years?

v.wells

I have spent some of this afternoon going over all the incidental people in this sorry tale and have not found anything that helps us forward.
    The Boby family 1911 (got the 11 children wrong - must use my glasses!) - it was married 11 years 1 child 1live birth, so Fred & Mary married 1900 (cannot find any marriage!). Fred was married to Elizabeth Upson in Ipswich 1881, she dies in Ipswich 1899, but Fred was in London with son Fred 1901 (no sign of Mary). Nothing ties them to the Stuarts.

Elizabeth Louisa Newton - Knightsbridge 1911, where Annie works, was the wife of William S Newton 'General & Colonel'. Elizabeth is the daughter of Lady Elizabeth Steele of Hampshire, and although she consistantly gives Brighton as her place of birth from 1841 census she is living in London, so our thought that there could be some connection with Annies place of birth looks very unlikely. Coincidence I think.

The death Adele found looks very promising, but we are still no closer (perhap have eliminated some ideas) as to the real relationship of A M Cox and Percy Robert Stuart.
    I shall now go back and see if I can find any Annie born 1875 Sussex on the 1911. What a crapshoot! Thanks Sue

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post

Death Certificate came today and this Annie Stuart is the widow of Frederick John Stuart so .....not the right one.

Birth and Death certs came for Albert Hugh and are correct. He never married.

I am still on the prowl for Annie Stuart or A. M. Cox.......Aaarghhh!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast