Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    13 March 1878 Pauper Removal Account
    Fulham Union Maintenance of Catherine R Clements and her children under order of removal £7/16
    I am not sure I really understand this
    The Fulham Union is claiming back from Royston the cost of maintaining the family in the Fulham workhouse. Since Royston had accepted the family as their responsibility, they had to reimburse Fulham for those costs.

the entry 24 Oct 1878-
    a letter was read from the clerk of St Giles Union stating that Catherine Clements and her 3 children had become chargeable to that Union and requesting that the board accept them without a regular order.
    I wonder if St Giles Union connected with Fulham?
    No connection, as far as I know.

It seems Catherine was back in London and had requested relief from St Giles Union. They declined to oblige because her settlement (derived from her husband's) was in Royston. St Giles then issued Royston with a "friendly" order (by letter), instead of going to the trouble and expense of getting a magistrate to sign a formal removal order. This was commonly done if it was likely that the receiving union would accept responsibility without argument.

then 18 Oct 1882
    Mr Barker was instructed to take out a warrant for the apprehension of James Clements for deserting his wife and children whereby they had become chargeable to the Union.
    Again, Royston is trying to get James to take financial responsibility for his family.

25 Nov 1885
    It was resolved on the motion of Mr Ellis that an advertisment be inserted in The Cambridgeshire Express stating that the board would on receiving information which would lead to the apprehension of James Clements give a reward of 20/-
    Is this the paper you checked at Colindale?

It might be worth looking at the records of the St Giles Union for any further clues (LMA again). And perhaps searching London in 1881 more closely for Catherine. I think Adele came up with a possibility on your other thread.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Kerrywood
    It is really helpful to have someone explain things I had not really picked up on St Giles or taken notice. I will check but the children appear to have stayed at Royston (maybe not). They were there in 1878 1881 and 1883 I had assumed they remained there.
    I tried checking at Colindale but did not manage to find this paper, again I will have another look. I have been looking at Adele's find and continue to do so. Talbot Road is a posh road and Katherine does not appear to be working but I will carry on thinking it through.
    Many thanks ELMA

At last my death certificates have arrived and they make interesting reading even, if I can not prove they are mine. The first one of Jane Connell unfortunately has no informant.
    It says 7th Oct 1888 Charing Cross Hospital Jane Connell 78 years Widow of John Connell a tailor of 11 Swallow Street.
    Cause of death Shock and Injuries, knocked down and run over by a carriage in Regent Street 7 days accidental. P Mort
    This could well be my great great grandmother but in 1861 there were two Jane Connells both married to John Connnell, a tailor. So I have to try and work out which one this is.
    Two similar newspaper reports - slightly different details - but I don't know if they will help with identification.

Daily News (Friday, October 12, 1888)
    FATAL ACCIDENTS IN REGENT-STREET
    Last evening Mr. John Troutbeck, the coroner for Westminster, held an inquiry at the St. Martin's Vestry Hall into the circumstances attending the death of Jane Connell, aged 78 years, widow of a tailor, lately residing at 11, Swallow-street, Piccadilly, who was fatally injured through being run over by a carriage in Regent-street on the 1st inst. According to the statements of several witnesses it appeared that on the afternoon of last Monday week the deceased, who was rather feeble, was crossing from the "refuge" to the corner of Vigo-street when she fell down in front of a carriage, the wheels of which passed over her head and chest. On the way to the hospital she said she became faint and fell down. She died on the 7th inst., the cause of death, as stated by Mr. C. C. Braine, house surgeon at Charing cross-Hospital, being shock to the system. Mrs. Amy Horner, of The Lindens, Aberdeen-place, Maida-vale, who was riding in the carriage, said the coachman was a very careful driver. It seemed to witness that the deceased fell underneath the carriage, which was going at a steady pace. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death", exonerating the driver from all blame.

The Morning Post (Friday, October 12, 1888)
    INQUESTS
    Last evening Mr. John Troutbeck held an inquiry at St. Martin's Vestry-hall into the circumstances attending the death of Jane Connell, aged 78, a widow, lately residing at 11, Swallow-street, Piccadilly. It appeared from the evidence of several witnesses that on Monday afternoon, the 1st inst., Mrs. Connell was crossing the roadway of Regent-street from the refuge near Vigo-street, when she stumbled and fell against a horse and carriage which were coming from the direction of Piccadilly-circus. The driver immediately pulled up, but the horse suddenly plunged, and both wheels on the off side of the vehicle passed over her. She was taken to Charing-cross Hospital, where she was found to be badly hurt about the head, and expired from shock on Sunday last. David Beswick, the coachman, and his mistress, Mrs. Horne, of The Lindens, Aberdeen-place, Maida-vale, stated that the horse was being driven at a steady pace. Mrs. Connell, whilst in the hospital, accounted for her falling by stating that she became faint. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death, and exonerated the driver from blame.

The second death certificate is of that of Catherine Rosina Connell and the name alone suggests she should be mine or somehow connected to the family. This is the name of my great grandmother and we were hoping the age was a mistake but it records
    4th November 1889- 67 Coningham Road, Hammersmith. Catherine Rosina Connell 16 years Domestic Servant.
    Cause of death. Threw herself from a window into area.informant Certificate from Coroner.
    I can't find anything online for this one.

I'd recommend contacting Hammersmith & Fulham Archives, where there is a good collection of local newspapers.

The very helpful staff there will undertake short searches for enquirers. As you have the date of the inquest from the death certificate, it might be a fairly quick lookup.

Thanks Kerrywood
    They are very interesting. I can't yet identify Swallow Street as a family residence. I will work at it and since my problem is that there were two Jane Connells married to John Connells (tailors) perhaps I have to find the one who is not mine and see if I can trace her a bit more thoroughly. It would be good to tie in these news paper reports. I will keep you informed.
    From Happy ELMA
    I will of course follow Catherine Rosina Connell. Newspapers were not very gossipy were they?

I can't yet identify Swallow Street as a family residence.
    Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    11 Swallow Street, which you say is on the death certificate is occupied by Mary Ann Leigh, tobacconist, her son Alfred James. and daughter Mary Ann in 1881/
    This may be worth a further look. The dwellings in Swallow Street were multi-occupancy.

If you turn the page in 1881, you'll see that the LEIGH family is just one of five schedules at 11 Swallow Street.
    1881 - RG11/127 folios 101-102 pages 30-31

Some of these same families remain at the address (or nearby) in 1891.
    1891 - RG12/85 folio 114 pages 35-36

(references to records held by TNA)

It might be useful to search for marriages and census locations for all the siblings of Catherine Rosina. If she is under another surname in later censuses, the best chance of identifying her will probably be by association with relatives.

I think I have now searched through the 1881 and 1881 censuses as suggested. I can not see any obvious clues. I have checked the other children, their spouses and their censuses. The only children found nearby are Margaret Barr in South Street, St James 1881 and Marshall Street 1891, also James Connell in the 1881 census at 5 Cross Street. These all seem very close.

I think this is death is my Jane but I will still keeping trying to prove it
    Thank you ELMA

I have received a newspaper report for Catherine Rosina Connell, a person with the same name as my great grandmother. I was hoping it would work out to be a relative of my family.
    Thank you Kerrywood for pointing it out.
    I requested it from Hammersmith Archives and Local History Centre. Within 72 hours of my E-Mail request, it was sitting on my doorstep, free of charge. That is service!
    I can not recognise this Catherine Rosina Connell, her mother is Caroline Connell of 44 Askew Crescent.
    The article is fascinating and poor Catherine jumped out of a window to her death aged 16 years, she was a servant, living in and had been in employment for only six weeks. She was under notice to quit. Her employer could find no fault with her. When the policeman and doctor went to the bedroom, the window was only open two inches and no one admitted closing it and could not account for it. Unfortunately the verdict was death while of unsound mind!
    Who knows one day I might find out if Catherine is distantly related. Meanwhile I am pleased I sent for the article, it reminds us that not everything has an honest answer .
    ELMA

Glad to hear you got a result, Elma, even if there is no tie-in with your family (yet). The staff at Hammersmith are always very helpful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345