Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Catherine Rosina Connell

My great grandmother was Catherine Rosina Connell. She was born on 11 Jan 1848 in Middlesex. She was the daughter of John Connell and Jane Setter who were both born in Ireland. I am just trying to sort this family out and wonder if I will ever get to go any futher with just Ireland to go on but first I am trying to confirm I have the right family. There are two John and Jane Connells on the census both of which are tailors and from Ireland. I have Catherines birth certificate and she was born at 17 Hollen Street, Middlesex. I know she then married my great grandfather James Clements on 25 Dec 1870 at The Parish Church Kentish Town. That is all I know for definate. Catherine probably dies before 1889 when her husband remarries. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. With thanks
    ELMA

pattenwalsh

Catherine born 1848 should be on the 1851 census and indeed there is one at Union Place,St John the Evangelist,Westminster.
    Shown as born 1849 Westminster Middlesex (Hollen St is in westminster and westminster was in the county of Middlesex in those days.
    Only trouble is the parents are shown as Peter and Sarah.
    There is also a Catherine born 1847 living at Rose st,St Anne ,Westminster,born same area ,parents on this are Daniel and Mary both born Ireland.
    These two are the only Catherine Connell's that appear on the 1851 census that fit the bill
    Where did you find the two John and Jane listings,which census year?

1851 census HO107/1494/699/43 TNA copy right
    There is only one Catherine Connell showing in 1851 with parents John and Jane. It transcribed as Catherine A but could be an R.
    This family in 1861 Jane is a widow with these children still living with her Robert, James, Catherine and Sarah . RG9/61/84/75
    It is in 1861 that the second John Connell and wife Jane show up. Both born Ireland, jane is Limerick. However this Jane is 58 and there are no children with them.They are not on the 1851 census that I can find. The only other one in 1851 census with wife Jane is a mason born in Northumberland.
    So the 1851 record looks like your family I think.

pattenwalsh

Mistranscribed as Cormell but with Catherine R on FMP. I would agree this is the correct one

The family I found in 1851 is here in 1841 HO107/675/13/21
    John 40 tailor born Ireland
    Jane 30 born Ireland
    David 12
    William 11
    Jane 9
    John 6
    Francis 2
    Mary 6 months
    All children born Middlesex, so John and Jane left Ireland before the birth of their eldest child in 1829.

pattenwalsh

yes and they married 23 Jul 1827 All Souls ,Langham Place so were in England before this date,
    Last edited by pattenwalsh; 16-02-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    yes and they married 23 Jul 1827 All Souls ,Langham Place so were in England before this date,
    Great searching pattenwalsh.

There I was sleeping sweetly! Thankyou so much. I have fumbled through the censuses and it was the two 1861 census that had thrown me. I was wondering how I could confirm my family. However it looks a lot clearer now.
    So to recap, sorry my brain does not work quite so fast!
    John and Jane came from somewhere in Ireland as youngsters? They married in 1827 in London. John was a tailor.
    Their children were David, William, Jane, Margaret, John, Francis, Mary, Robert, James, Catherine and Sarah.
    1841 John and Jane were living in Marylebone and he was a tailor.
    1851 John and Jane were living in Marylebone and he was a tailor.
    1861 John appears to have died by now and Jane is living in Westminster.
    Do you think my next step would be to find some certificates for the family to get more information. I guess John and Jane born in Ireland is a step too far, perhaps I held on to the other 1861 census as that John came from Limerick and maybe would have been easier!
    Sometimes these relatives do not want to be found like Catherine Rosina we know little of her ancestors and likely it will stay that way and we know little of her death.

Does anyone have any comment on baptisms Catherine Rosina had four children all born in different parts of London only one a little boy who was born and died in the workhouse was baptised I have spent ages tring to locate them but I think for some reason they did not baptise them and wondered how commom this could be

Default Catherine Rosina Connell

Just to confirm I notice on Catherines marriage certificate to James Clements the witnesses were Robert Brand and Sarah Connell, perhaps this was Catherines younger sister!
    Thank you everyone
    ELMA

Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    All Souls Church is still going strong. Just google it.
    I can't locate this church on Hugh Wallis' site. Do you have any more information about this marriage Pattenwalsh? I must be looking in the wrong area. I was wondering if parents were mentioned?

Elma, some parents christened all children, some parents christened some of theiir children, some parents didn't christen any of their children and some, like yours, christened the child that wasn't expected to live.
    It does look as if Catherine's sister was a witness at her marriage.
    Jane and John could have been a little more thoughtful and put just where in Ireland they were born.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast