Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

This is super sleuth if that is the right phrase.
    I have got to the stage with Catherine Rosina I must go with any clue as I have so little. She has always been very elusive. Our last real positive 'sighting' is when she has her fourth child at the The Fulham Workhouse on 25th October 1877, the baby dies and Sarah Catherine and the three older childen are transfered to Royston Worhouse, Essex in February 1878. From there we have nothing about her and I have gone through endless workhouse records both at Fulham and Royston. Interestingly Catherine was brave enough to complain about maltreatment of herself and her new baby at Fulham by the matron. It got her nowhere except it elevated her in my eyes to a very brave woman. Royston has no mention of her but the children are clearly there for some years and there is one small reference in the minute book asking for the arrest of James to be published in the local paper. I have been to Collingdale but not located this. It does not state why they want him arrested and possibly this could just be for maintenance. Just prior to Catherines admission to Fulham in 1878 there is a court record for a James Clements from Fulham, imprisoned for stealing.
    James re-marries on 28th July 1889 in Bristol. Maybe I just have to go with the death certificate the name alone suggests some connection with the family. I will keep you posted Thanks so much
    ELMA

Default Catherine Rosina Connell

Just one thing has been puzzling me and it probably has no connection but you never know with family history where the leads come from.
    James Clements remarriage was to Clara Jane Catlin formerly Gerrish. Clara was born in Bristol in 1859 Her first husband was John Catlin born in Bristol in 1859. They married in Bristol in 1879. In the 1881 census John was working in Bristol as a butcher but by 1884, when he died he was a police constable living in 4 Ingestre Road, Pancras. This is Connell terriotry. Clara was still living in Bristol by information given on his death certificate. She had three young children. What the connection is I do not know except James then marries Clara some five years later. James childen all settle in Bristol too.
    Just thought I would add that incase anyone has some thoughts on it and sees it any differently. I certainally have been clutching at straws with Catherine Rosina.
    ELMA

Catherine Rosina Connell age 16 birth 1873 death 1889 Fulham Greater London Middlesex vol 1a page 140.

Sorry Elma I should have warned you to check the entry. The 1 in 140 went missing.
    These are the correct numbers - I looked at the GRO entry.
    Christina

Thank you for all the help especially Christanel and Pattenwalsh. I have just sent for the death certificates for Jane Connell and Catherine Rosina Connell, hopefully I will get some more clues from them I will be happy if just one is right!
    I have been looking through my paperwork and have found a strange birth certificate which I had put to one side just in case.
    Catherine Rosina Connell had married my great grandfather James Clements on Dec 25th 1870. We pick them up on the 1871 census ,no children. Their first child Sarah Catherine Rosina would have been born later in 1871 or 1872. My grandmother Mary Ann Jane was born in May 1873. We have never found Sarah Catherine Rosina Clements birth and I assumed she was not registered. The death certificate I put away is
    4th August 1871 -Pancras Workhouse-CATHERINE SARAH. Mothers Name Emma Catherine Connell -Pancras Workhouse. No father recorded.
    Could things have been so difficult Catherine Rosina changed her name, possibly even to protect her husband.
    Sarah Catherine Rosina was always proud to be born in Hampstead and that is where her parents were living in 1871. Does anyone know what would be the workhouse for Hampstead or am I just reading too much in to things?
    I will keep you posted when the certificates arrive. With thanks
    ELMA

Default Catherine Rosina Connell

Correction to my last post it should read the BIRTH certificate I put away. Sorry
    ELMA:

The links below will give you information on Hampstead Workhouse and what records are kept. Scroll down the page until you come to records.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...?id=85&page=40
    https://www.institutions.org.uk/workh..._workhouse.htm

Hi Everyone.
    At last my death certificates have arrived and they make interesting reading even, if I can not prove they are mine.
    The first one of Jane Connell unfortunately has no informant.
    It says 7th Oct 1888 Charing Cross Hospital Jane Connell 78 years Widow of John Connell a tailor of 11 Swallow Street.
    Cause of death Shock and Injuries, knocked down and run over by a carriage in Regent Street 7 days accidental. P Mort
    This could well be my great great grandmother but in 1861 there were two Jane Connells both married to John Connnell, a tailor. So I have to try and work out which one this is.
    The second death certificate is of that of Catherine Rosina Connell and the name alone suggests she should be mine or somehow connected to the family. This is the name of my great grandmother and we were hoping the age was a mistake but it records
    4th November 1889- 67 Coningham Road, Hammersmith. Catherine Rosina Connell 16 years Domestic Servant.
    Cause of death. Threw herself from a window into area.informant Certificate from Coroner.
    Well there is food for thought! There must be an answer somewhere there!
    ELMA

Two very interesting death certificates Elma.
    Both deaths being of a 'violent' nature may mean there are coroners' reports but I have no experience with these. Someone will tell us. Also there may have been reports in newspapers of the time.
    I did google "Charing Cross Hospital archives" and it seems The National Archives have some onfo on this.
    Have to go but will look into it further later on today.

Thanks Christanel
    Perhaps someone could help me identify 7 Swallow Street. I then need to look at the 1881 census to see if there is anyone connected to my family there. I think it is the Soho area? So far I have been unlucky with searching that.

The facts I have about my Jane Connell are
    1841 Date of Birth =1811 Address= Turks Head Yard, Marylebone
    1851 Date of Birth=1811 Address = 19 Tottenham Place, Tottenham Court, St Pancras
    1861 Date of birth=1805 Address =3 Bentinck Street (? Berwick Street) Westminster
    1871-
    1881 Date of Birth 1811 Address = 6 Little Barlow Street, Marylebone.

Thomasin

Swallow Street is a little tiny lane that opens off Regent Street and turns at a right angle towards Piccadilly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast